Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Noon, Nuns, and Negatives


ABC Wednesday is a word meme with participants from around the world. This fabulous meme was created and hosted by Mrs. Denise Nesbitt who hails from Great Britain. Over time, others have joined in to help host this wonderful and informative meme. We are now in our seventh round-some of the participants have been with this from the very first round; others have joined in along the way. Each week we are taken across the globe to see the varied and exciting contributions people have taken the time to discover and capture. We start with the letter, "A" and each week we post something in regards to the next letter of the alphabet. This week's letter is, "N".

 NUN
 


Novitiate to Nun. From my glass negative collection. Circa early 1900's. Taken at a photo studio on Gold St. in Albuquerque, NM. And, that's all we know about her!

Negative



I'm positive that this is a negative! One of a goofy and hopeful seagull-waiting for a bite to be thrown out the window. This one favors french fries. Not very nutritious, I'd say! Naughty gull!

Noon


Noon. A timely word, don't you think?  ; )


Nightingale

 (image from Wikipedia)

We do not have nightingale birds here in the Americas. I wished that we did as I'd love to hear their songs in the evening hours. From the old days, nightingale means, 'night songstress'.

It's time for a nap...

As you read this post, I will be in the "way over yonder" at the Petrified Forest National Park. Out in the middle of nowhere and limited internet (I have to drive over to the visitor's center to pick up the wi-fi). Leaving comments at your sites will be nearly impossible, but I do hope you come by and visit my site and leave comments (assuming I can get my link up on ABC Weds). I've done these posts ahead of time and scheduled them to appear when we do our weekly posts.


10 comments:

Jane Hards Photography said...

The nun image really freaked me out as a photographer. So old an image. Interesting clutch of n's.

Sylvia K said...

Great Ns for the N Day as always, Paula! You do always manage to find some intriguing words for the day! Hope your week is going well! Enjoy!

Sylvia

Roger Owen Green said...

That top bird has a NASTY attitude, seems to me! So does the nun!
ROG, ABC Wednesday team

Gigi Ann said...

Nice bunch of N words today. Have a Nice, great vacation.

photowannabe said...

Fascinating glass negatives. I wonder what the story is behind the nun.
A great combo of N pictures.
Enjoy your trip and look forward to hearing all about it.

Wanda said...

What a lovely post... You have a good choice of N's.

??? said...

The seagull negative made me laugh out loud. I always wonder about people in old photos, who they were, how they lived their lives. Is it me by the way or does she have a tiny waist? Maybe it's just the habit, though.

Kay L. Davies said...

I love the gull.
But I really want that nap you mentioned.
There are six, count 'em six, paving machines and trucks outside my bedroom window just to pave my neighbor's driveway.
No, I wont scream, but I might cry if my headache doesn't stop soon.

Kay, Alberta

Tumblewords: said...

For sure - a Negative bird. He looks like a nightmare. :) Noon and nap are so suggestive!

Joy said...

Is that a seagull from the dark side. Old photographs are fascinating, and sometimes a little spooky.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin