Saturday, October 23, 2010

Back to Reality!


Early morning at the Petrified Forest National Park (PFNP) Visitor Center




Sigh.....best laid plans, as they say. I thought I had done a post ahead of time for today since I would be leaving today to go back home to New Mexico. 2 weeks here as an artist in residence was a dream. A life changing event. But, I've concluded that it isn't long enough!

The beauty here at this park is not one that one can take in as a 'drive through' as so many do. The entire length of the park runs about 28 miles and crosses the interstate 40 freeway. I took this shot this morning on my cell phone after I realized that I did not do a scheduled post for SSS (I thought all I had to do was to post my link! not!). This is in front of the Fred Harvey restaurant at the park which is also located next to the visitor center.

Every week, a group of us from around the world post our shadow shots over at Hey Harriet. Entertain your muse and be amused by stopping by to see what others have posted! You can view all of my 2009 Shadow Shot Sunday images on my Flickr account. Click here and then select the "Shadow Shot" set.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

What a huge plant, I love the shadows you captured, and on your phone. Amazing quality

Ralph said...

Compared to staid New England, plants like this are very nice. The leaves are arranged like peaks, and of course the shadow is quite unique. And that it is placed in a prosaic place, the plant is thus common - down there. But not up here! Nice shadowy capture!

Anonymous said...

Ya'at'eeh Molokai Girl! I live on Moloka'i. My husband I started the artist in resident program at the Petrified Forest in 2006 and ran it for three years. What a trip! Here you are there and we are here. zig zagging paths. We moved straight from living in the Petrified Forest and Painted Desert for 8 years to Moloka'i. Previously in Abuquerque and Santa Fe. We have been here on island for a little over a year now. PEFO is amazing! I hope you were able to explore its landscape. and so is Moloka'i amazing too!
aloha nui

Anonymous said...

Heather and Scott Williams in Kamiloloa!

Spadoman said...

Nice shot Paula. You could have fooled me as to what device you used. Doesn't look like the phone photos I take at all! Very nice. SDo glad you are getting back. Can't wait to see the photos you took while you were Artist In Residence. Also want to hear about the experience. Life changing, how cool is that! Welcome back.
Peace.

Kay L. Davies said...

Super shadows in among the spikes of the plant, Paula. And your cell phone takes better pictures than my camera. I'm shopping for a new camera, but maybe I should just get a new phone!
Beautiful, thanks for stopping to get a shot.

Kay, Alberta

A Wild Thing said...

That baby is huge...and ouchy!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin