Saturday, September 18, 2010

Cruising and Musing on Lake Abiquiu


I forgot all about the image file that I had on Abiquiu from my trip there a year ago! Silly me...the file is full of the spectacular images of Abiqui, Lake Abiqui, and the area surrounding the Georgia O'Keeffe Ghost Ranch.


I have all these image files full of stuff-much like going to the refrigerator to see what's good to eat in there. And, sometimes, something really good ends up behind some other mundane things. Such is the case here, so to speak. Not that this image is really good, but, it does have some cool formations and shadows.
These formations are the canyon walls of Lake Abiquiu which is a reservoir in Northern New Mexico. It contains the spectacular geology that you find throughout the Colorado Plateau area which encompasses New Mexico, Arizona, Utah and Colorado.  If you've seen my shots from Chaco Canyon, Ah Shi Sle Pa and from Abiquiu, then perhaps you will have a better visual sense of the incredible geology there. Makes me wish I had studied geology.


And, for fun, a contrasting image from my yard. The shadow is cast by a bird feeder, a live bamboo and some bamboo screen that we use to block out some of the intense sun that comes streaming and screaming through the east facing bedroom windows.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_jxzlgKjohCA/TDU-IQ79h-I/AAAAAAAABdE/aBYTrcH7Q0c/s1600/IMG_3956.JPG


Every week, a group of us from around the world post our shadow shots over at Hey Harriet. Entertain your muse and be amused by stopping by to see what others have posted! You can view all of my 2009 Shadow Shot Sunday images on my Flickr account. Click here and then select the "Shadow Shot" set.

11 comments:

Ralph said...

From New England, I tend to think of the arid Southwest as full of rock and ray. However, this is a brilliant red hue that absorbs the sun beautifully.

The birdcage is as delicate as its residents...

Cassie said...

Both excellent ShadowShots Paula! Having lived in the SW for over 2/3 of my life, I still am in awe of the redrocks and formations. Your yard shot has 3 totally different elements that blend beautifully!

BTW, your blenza link isn't coming up. I had to put your blog in manually. :>(

Sylvia K said...

What terrific shadow shots for the day, Paula! I love them, particularly the birdcage! Beautiful! Hope your weekend is going well! Enjoy!

Sylvia

robin. said...

love the shadows paula...geology...sounds too hard to study...but i'm sure interesting to say the least!!

A Wild Thing said...

I'm with ya on the geology thing, I studied and collected rocks and terrain when I was a kid, loved archaeology and paleontology, a nut about the outdoors and the mysteries of the ancients...loved to explore the canyons of Southern Colorado back in the day...lucky girl...ENJOY for me too!

s

BLOGitse said...

That red color and shape of the rock looks unrealistic...
Happy Sunday!

Unknown said...

Beautiful photos, love the first one.

Spadoman said...

Both great photos! As you know, I was recently touring that Northern New Mexico landscape. I did use many of your tips with my new camera, I just didn't get off the motorcycle often enough to use it.
But you are correct, so much beautiful geology, especially there in the Southwest.

Peace.

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

the desolate land
whispering to weary souls—
come, you may rest here

Crafty Green Poet said...

what a wonderful view, such beautiful red rock.

Lovely shadow shot too

The Summer Kitchen Girls said...

Love this picture...we can only imagine what that gorgeous red/orange color REALLY looks like in person!
Like the bird feeder shadow...love your words that the sun comes in screaming....what a discription - we've got it!!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin