Saturday, June 14, 2014

A Year Of First's


From the interior of St. Joseph's Church that St. Damien built, on Molokai, looking out onto the gravesite where my Dad and his wife now lay in peace (it is the one you see with all the flowers on it).

Father's Day is this Sunday-it occurred to me that this is my first Father's Day without my Dad and that for the next year, it will continue to be 'firsts'. First Thanksgiving, first Christmas, first birthday (his and mine), and so forth. Kind of stops you in your tracks. But, I will find a way to quietly celebrate it-find something special to mark the day with and remember the legacy he has left me. I'm not feeling sorry for myself-that's not what I'm intending as a message here, but merely sharing what is on my mind and in my heart.




The view from the outside looking at the church-you can figure out where the interior shot was taken by looking at the statue. Damien was quite the carpenter, wasn't he? He built quite a few churches on the island. This is a very quite and peaceful spot.

And as for the rest of you who are Dads, I do hope you have a wonderful Father's Day!

Come join us every week, as a group of us from around the world post our shadow shots over at Shadow Shot Sunday 2. Entertain your muse and be amused by stopping by to see what others have posted!

11 comments:

robin. said...

it looks to be a beautiful, peaceful resting place. may your year of firsts be gentle and full of more laughter than tears.

Sylvia K said...

I do so agree with everything that Robin has written and I'm definitely wishing you a year of love and laughter!!

Kathe W. said...

what a beautiful place- and my deepest sympathies to you -

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

I was in a cemetery on Oahu several years ago that looked remarkably similar to this one. Something about the Islands that adds a hint of mystery to the beauty, I think.

Six Words and Shadows

Ralph said...

The simple church is lovely, not ostentatious but without style, a place to sit in your thoughts knowing that a loving God shares your pain while you reflect on a beautiful past with your Dad. Poignant yet with nature's happiness of lots of beautiful flowers - which may help in making our feelings less sad. We hope that much for you with prayers of comfort...

Leovi said...

Some great perspective, nice photos!

Gemma Wiseman said...

Such a lovely little church in a beautiful setting. It invites quiet thoughts. May you remember the beauty of your moments with your dad.

BLOGitse said...

What a beautiful, sympathetic place...
Have a relaxing Sunday!

BLOGitse

namaki said...

Looks like such a peaceful place !

Gillena Cox said...


This is really nice, and suits my Sunday meme which is still open, please link up


i didnt post at SS2 this week, still i viewed a a few links.


much love...

Chubby Chieque said...

Love the solemn and the spiritually calmness of the church and it's ambiance.

Happy day my Molokai Girl...

Sorry, couldn't visit you often. But hope this is the last surgery I have.

GB us.

Hugs,
/CC

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin