Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Leaping Lizards!



ABC Wednesday is a word meme with participants from around the world. This fabulous meme was created and hosted by Mrs. Denise Nesbitt who hails from Great Britain. Over time, others have joined in to help host this wonderful and informative meme. We are now in our seventh round-some of the participants have been with this from the very first round; others have joined in along the way. Each week we are taken across the globe to see the varied and exciting contributions people have taken the time to discover and capture. We start with the letter, "A" and each week we post something in regards to the next letter of the alphabet. This week's letter is, "L".
 
 L is for LP=Long Playing. Remember those?



Many of us had a sizable inventory of these LPs, or, long playing (vinyl records) and a handful of 45's in our recorded music section in our younger days. My, how things have changed. Even CD's are starting to feel old fashioned! As you can see, this one bit the dust. Once, when we were really young, my brothers and I destroyed a really old set of records-they were recordings of Spike Jones, Patty Page, etc. (and looking back, I see the tragedy of it all). We discovered that they flew better than any frisbee could.  They do. If you have a record that you wouldn't mind destroying to prove this, give it a shot. Just make sure you are in wide open spaces and nothing can get struck by your missle disk!

LEAF


One could have a 'calender' (a different leaf for each month) of leaf images and who knows how long it would take before there would be repeats? Not in one's life time, of that, I am fairly certain.

LIMOUSINE (or, Limo)


This one is stretched out. Riding in a limo every decade is about as often as I would want to ride one. When our son completed 8th grade, we took him and his best friend to Disneyland in L.A. and rented a limo to get from the airport to the hotel. It was cheaper than renting a car since we were staying at the Disneyland Hotel and only needed to get there and back.

LEAPING LIZARDS!!!!


Literally! This poor guy got brought into our house by our cat, Rocky. I did rescue it and took it back outside, far away from kitty's reach. Leaping lizards, indeed!  : )

This time next week, I will be in the 'hinterlands' away from the internet (I'm pretty sure) and even a phone land line. I'll be at the Petrified Forest National Park for a 2 week stay there as an artist in residence. Being thrilled about this doesn't even begin to describe how I feel! I will schedule my ABC posts to happen here on their own. I'm not sure if I will succeed in getting my link up to the ABC site and if I do, I know that visitng and leaving comments at your sites will be nearly impossible. But, please, do come and 'visit' me and leave comments. I'll be back at your sites with comments after the 23rd/Oct.

19 comments:

photowannabe said...

How exciting Paula. I wish I could be there to see your work in person. Have a wonderful time.
Love your choice of "frisbees". I think you probably sailed some good money into the air. (:0)

Sylvia K said...

That is fantastic, Paula! I'm so excited for you! Can't wait to hear about it! And, of course, I love all your delightful L words for the day! And great photos to match! Enjoy your two weeks! Marvelous!

Sylvia

Andy said...

Would you believe vinyl records are making a come back. Great posting for L

Hildred said...

A wonderful post, and such exciting news about your work, - hope you have a marvelous time and will look forward to hearing about it.

Carver said...

What a great take on the letter L. I not only remember LPs, I still listen to them. I love the shot of the lizard. Glad you could rescue him. All great choices for the letter L. I hope you have a great time on your trip. That's great you will be an artist in residence there.

Reader Wil said...

How great that you should mention LP's! You know something? I still have some of my favourite LP's and occaionally I play them, but cd's are easier!
Great Post Paula!
So you are going away for two weeks? I wish you a wonderful time! Please tell us about it!

EG CameraGirl said...

OOPS! Sorry about all those LOST LPs! LIVE and LEARN! I hope you have a great time at the Petrified Forest!

Kay L. Davies said...

Congratulations, Paula, what a coup for you. I hope you aren't petrified by it. ;~)
We still have lots of LPs, and I can imagine Dick taking his least favorite to the coulee and seeing how far it will fly, but then he'd have to fetch it back because we don't believe in littering.

Kay, Alberta

Joy said...

How inspirational to be in the Petrified Forest I am sure you will have a wonderful time.
The automated posting sounds very clever.

Gigi Ann said...

I had some friends that made serving bowls out of the 78 LP records. They had a 50th Wedding Anniversary Party for us, and since we were married in 1958, she made the serving bowls to go with the 50's theme. Real cute.

Leaping Lizards I used a Lizard and a Limo today also.

Great choices for L day today.

Roger Owen Green said...

Your title suggested Little Orphan Annie. Your treatment of your LPS...ouch. Actually will be my topic before Christmas.

Tumblewords: said...

Oh, I know you are having a wondrous time! I still have a bundle of lp's, 45's and 78's but nothing to play them on. :( I remember melting one in the oven once to make a bowl - how silly - didn't think of a frisbee. Great post -

Rajesh said...

Great choice of words. Wonderful.

Rune Eide said...

Leaves abound all around and I have a stack of old LPs somewhere - But I have no Limousine :-(

jabblog said...

Congratulations on becoming artist in residence for two weeks - how exciting :-)
LPs and EPs - goodness, they take me back.
I felt sorry for the lizard though I guess he didn't taste all that wonderful to Rocky.

Granny Smith said...

What a wonderful position to be in! You can enjoy both your art and the fantastic scenery! Enjoy your two weeks!

Cheryl said...

I'm thrilled for you. I'll bet you'll get some great shots in the forest. I'd be jealous but that'd be a waste of my time!

While the idea of a flying LP is great, I'm such a klutz, I'd definitely end up in the ER!

Unknown said...

Congratulations on a lively blog for L and your artist in residence at Petrified. I look forward to your work from the PNF showing up on your blogs.
HelenMac, ABC team

Unknown said...

P.S. I have an LP of the Rolling Stones with a bite out of it, literally!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin