Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Galloping with Google


ABC Wednesday is a word meme with participants from around the world. This fabulous meme was created and hosted by Mrs. Denise Nesbitt who hails from Great Britain. Over time, others have joined in to help host this wonderful and informative meme. We are now in our seventh round-some of the participants have been with this from the very first round; others have joined in along the way. Each week we are taken across the globe to see the varied and exciting contributions people have taken the time to discover and capture. We start with the letter, "A" and each week we post something in regards to the next letter of the alphabet. This week's letter is, "G".

GALLOPING HORSES


These are the two incredible horses that I had written about in a previous post (Chaco Canyon Revisited). Except, in that post, only one was pictured. These two beauties are galloping off in different directions from each other.

GOOGLE


Can you imagine life without Google? Oh, my. Gosh, it would seem grim, perhaps. And, when did words like 'search engines' emerge into everyday vocabulary? Good, golly!

GARGOYLE


I am proud to say that this shot was taken with my cell phone in the home improvement store called, Lowe's. I think I was there to grab some paint and walked by this clearance shelf that had this gorgeous Gargoyle!

GLISSADE






I thought I should take the opportunity to share with you some ballet terms (things I take for granted and are everyday for me). Glissade: to glide or slide. It's considered a jumping step since your feet do leave the ground. In the above video, it is demonstrated from first position and then third. I've never done them from either of these positions! We always do them from fifth position.

Here's another video on glissade (I like this demo better, but it is a glissade with a changemont). Changemont, which means, to change, is where she stops and jumps, changing the foot that is in front with the one that is in back.

GRANDE JETE








Grande Jete. Another ballet term. Another jump. I love doing these! I love doing the glissades too. Although, now that I am older and heavier, it is much harder to get off the ground or get very far off the ground! Such is life!

22 comments:

Sylvia K said...

Great post for the G Day, Paula! I love horses -- galloping or not and my youngest daughter was a ballet dancer -- in her youth, so I did enjoy your post even more than usual, which is a lot!! Hope your week is going well! Have a great day!

Sylvia

Cezar and Léia said...

wow you are very creative, it's a cool set of G stuffs!
GREAT!
Léia

??? said...

Great choices for the letter G The horses are beautiful and I enjoyed the ballet lesson :)

Vinay Leo R. said...

haha :) this was a fun post, Molokai.. the horses picture was esp. wonderful :D

My ABC Wednesday G

Kay L. Davies said...

The horses are gorgeous, the gargoyle's a giggle, and the ballet videos glide and jump gracefully.
Before I could comment on your G post, however, I was distracted by the post you did about your dad. I'm partial to the word "dad" ever since I lost mine last November. My dad was a musician, too, so I read everything you wrote with interest. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and pictures.
Kay
Alberta, Canada

Leslie: said...

Have to say, that is the cutest gargoyle I've ever seen! lol

LisaF said...

Horses are beautiful, galloping or not. And Google knows EVERYTHING, so I cannot imagine life without it. I am familiar with the ballet terms although I'm totally klutzy when it comes to performing them! Thanks for a great post.

Mara said...

That gargoyle looks so sweet. I wonder what you would do with it though, our current drainage systems being a bit different.

Roger Owen Green said...

Lovely videos. My 6 y.o. is taking ballet.

ROG, ABC Wednesday team

Carver said...

Great post for the letter G. I love the beautiful galloping horses and how clever to incorporate the ballet into the G theme.

EG CameraGirl said...

This was such a fun post! Now I'm wondering what you'll do for H. :)

Tumblewords: said...

A glorious post - love the gargoyle and to think you found him at Lowe's - astonishing. The photo of the Chaco Canyon horses is superb. Glissade - hm. I think I could get off the ground, but the landing could destroy me. :)

Rune Eide said...

It was nice of you to teach me about Glissade and Grand Jete - then I won't have to Google for them :-)

Gigi Ann said...

I enjoyed learning the little lesson in ballet. Great G post today.

photowannabe said...

I always wanted to be a ballet dancer but 2 left feet kept me from doing more than galloping across the room. (LOL)
I love your picture of the horses. Its a winner.

ChrisJ said...

I almost chose Google for my 'G'day, but then I came down with a bug and just didn't have the energy to do all the research. Maybe I'll use what I did find another day.

Amy said...

Paula, I loved every one of your "g's" - and of course I had to go check out your Chaco Canyon post - wow! Those horses are magical in the morning sun. Google is, yes, indispensable as I find myself looking stuff up every single day. Remember the days of keeping a list and making a trip to the library to get information? And the ballet videos reminds me of my childhood - six years of ballet lessons and I quit before I got on toes!

Leslie D. said...

Hey we both have a gargoyle post! Can never have too many gargoyles.

Verns said...

the gargoyle is fantastic ... awesome art...

I hope you can drop by
My ABC Wednesday here
And HERE TOO

Mom vs. the boys said...

love those horses, beautiful!

robin. said...

hey paula...i've nominated your site for an award on my site today...just wanted to share your wonderfulness with others...

Spadoman said...

I've been here a couple of times. Don't know why I didn't say anything before.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin