Tuesday, June 29, 2010

It's All Greek To Me (well, mostly Aztec)!


ABC Wednesday is a word meme with participants from around the world. This fabulous meme was created and hosted by Mrs. Denise Nesbitt who hails from Great Britain. We are now in our sixth round-some of the participants have been with this from the very first round; others have joined in along the way. Each week we are taken across the globe to see the varied and exciting contributions people have taken the time to discover and capture. We start with the letter, "A" and each week we post something in regards to the next letter of the alphabet. This week's letter is, "X".

"X" is pretty darned tough to do. I think I've already used them all in previous ABC posts since I'm a glutton for punishment and have a habit of posting at least 4 examples of the week's letter. Not a good startegy for letters like "X"!

So, I turned to the Aztecs for help. Man, they have a LOT of "X" words/names! The Greeks do too. I also employed the ever so handy Wikipedia in my quest for images and help with spelling and their content.

XOLOTL 


In the Aztec world, Xolotl was associated to both lightning and death. I will have to tell you that I cannot help you in pronouncing these Aztec (Nahuatl) words! They never sound the way they appear, that's all I know.
Xolotl was also the god of fire and bad luck and is the twin of Quetzacoatl. That's another story for another time.
Studying the art of the Aztecs is simply fascinating; I wish I had it in me to study it and become an expert. I have to admit that I get confused because for one, I can never spell the names and if I could master that, there is still the dilemma of learning how to pronounce them correctly.

XIPE TOTEC


Xipe Totec...the lord of the flayed one: an Aztec deity of agriculture. If you're like me, you are sitting there wondering, "What the heck? Flayed one?". How does that relate to agriculture? The flaying is "symbolic of giving food to humanity such as the maize corn looses their outer layer before germination or snakes having to shed their skin" (OK, I get it as far as the corn goes, but the snake?). A very complex and abstract kind of thinking, I think. Almost too much for me to wrap my head around! Sigh...those Aztecs. Such warriors and thinkers!

XOCHIQUETZAL



 Xochiquetzal. Say THAT one fives times real slow! I can't even say it once!

She is a "goddess associated with concepts of fertility, beauty, and female sexual power, serving as a protector of young mothers and a patroness of pregnancy, childbirth, and the crafts practiced by women such as weaving and embroidery" (I haven't figured how to do footnotes here in Blogger, but this is directly from Wikipedia).

There is a bit more about her that is intriguing-visit the link to learn more!

XEROGRAPHY




Xerography, or the xerographic process.

Most of us barely remember the printing process before xerography, which is a dry printing process. What preceeded it was a process that used wet chemicals. The inventor,  Chester Carlson, originally named the process, "electrophotography" because it combined an electrostatic process with a photographic process. Doesn't really roll off the toungue, I suppose. It was later named, xerography: "xeros", from the Greek root, meaning "dry" and "graphia" (antoehr Greek root), meaning, "writing".

I always wondered why the first photocopying company was named, Xerox. This is where the saying, "it's all Greek to me" holds true!!

Happy ABC Wednesday to you all!

19 comments:

Sylvia K said...

Now you have a unique, different and fun post for the X day! Not that I'm surprised! Hope you have a great day, Paula! Enjoy!

Sylvia

photowannabe said...

This is such an original post and really informative too. I always wondered what Xerox meant. Thanks for a great X post.

Roger Owen Green said...

When the going gets tough, change language! Brilliant.

I wrote about xerography once upon a time!

ROG, ABC Wednesday team

Bettey said...

X is a hard letter in the theme, but you found a great series of examples! Have a good rest of the week :)

Hood Photo Blog

Rune Eide said...

I MUST learn some Aztec for the next round!

Applause.

Amy said...

I'm wondering how to pronounce all of those "x's!" I've been absent for awhile and I miss visiting your site - always informative and entertaining. How are things in New Mexico?

Mara said...

Great words. Now I just have to untangle my tongue...

Unknown said...

Well done! 'X' was a tough one and you succeeded in choosing words that no one else will. I think some of us have a blockage when it comes to the name 'Xerox' because that company made a big sink about their name being a name and not a generic word. Or maybe I am wrong about this...
Anyway... you made an interesting and original post out of a very, very difficult letter!
Best wishes,
Anna

Anna's X-words

Leslie: said...

Whoa! You really did a lot of research! Great words and info!

Joy said...

Some wonderful and colourful Aztec names. Xolotl seemed weirdly familiar then I realised I was thinking of axolotl, a strange creature, but absolutely no use for X. A unique post Paula.

Cheryl said...

I loved learning about all the unpronouncable Aztecs! The symbols are just beautiful. Learning the origin of Xerox was a bonus I didn't expect.

Tumblewords: said...

eXcellent! I watched a PBS program recently which dealt with reading the pictographs at Palenque and on the Mayan calendar. The archaeologists spoke the words with what they feel is the correct pronunciation, but I still harbor a lot of doubt! :) Great post.

Bradley Hsi said...

These are really difficult words, thanks for let us know them and their significant meaning for the Aztec culture.

Anonymous said...

I love Roger's comment! Yes, could this be construed as cheating?! (I'm only peeved that I didn't think of it first). :D

jay said...

You found some great Xs! I knew about the origin of 'xerox', but the rest was all new to me.

lv2scpbk said...

Interesting post for X. On behalf of the ABC Wed. team, thanks for participating.

Spadoman said...

Great creativity for the "X". I wonder why English didn't start many words with this letter and the Aztecs did? (and the Greeks). Well, you did a fine job with this one. "Y" and "Z" should be a snap. I'll be looking forward to them.

Peace.

LisaF said...

Great references for the letter today. Yes, the Aztecs had lots of X-type words...as does the Mayans and Toltecs in Central and South America. Fascinating history and mythology.

Reader Wil said...

I enjoyed reading your post, because it was interesting and I learnt something new. The Aztecs were clever people and very skillful, I think.
You managed again to find four words beginning with this weeks letter!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin