Saturday, April 17, 2010

The Salt of the Earth

Long before currency, there was salt.

So, you know in last weeks SSS post, I commented on what a sight it must've been for anyone watching me crawl under the leaves of a palm tree (a low growing one) to get those sharked-toothed images.

Although taking these pictures are not nearly as 'kooky', it did get some strange looks from my friends, when mid conversation I pull out my cell phone (conversation is still on-going) and take some pictures of the salt shaker on the table. So, of course, I had to explain and show the image I took. That did not stop the strange looks! I mentioned shadows, memes, blogs, Shadow Shot Sunday...well as you can imagine, that did not help either! Strange looks continued.

A little bit of a sidetrack here, as I am about to ask for EVERYONE'S help. One of our art teachers (Matthew Lutz) at our local high (Rio Rancho High) school got his students to submit entries to a nation wide sneaker design contest headed up by Vans Sneakers. They were given four pairs of sneaker to design and their designs made it into the top 10! All we need is enough people to vote for them and become finalists. Please go to the website and vote for the Rio Rancho High designs! One vote per computer, so if you have multiple computers, use them all to vote. Voting takes place from the 16-18th of April.

Here's a video the kids put together quickly to tell you more about the project:

Every week, a group of us from around the world post our shadow shots over at Hey Harriet. Entertain your muse and be amused by stopping by to see what others have posted! You can view all of my 2009 Shadow Shot Sunday images on my Flickr account. Click here and then select the "Shadow Shot" set.

By the way, Matthew has a series of shadow paintings you all need to go check out!

21 comments:

Tom Hilton said...

Nice shot. And I get those looks all the time. ;-)

robin. said...

shadow seeking makes us to crazy things...well, i guess, not so crazy to us...but those around us may scratch their heads...you are a girl after my own heart.

Ralph said...

The shadows inside the shaker are intricate. It is fun to try to explain our photo meme behavior to the uninitiated. It can be a challenge, but capturing shadows are a part of us now - shoot first, explain (if you can) later!

Sylvia K said...

Love your shot for the day, Paula! And, yes, I get those looks all the time!! Had a couple stopped me yesterday down at the harbor where I was getting some shots, they were just curious what I was taking pictures of! Yep, I'm nuts!! Wouldn't want to be any other way! Hope you have a great weekend!

Sylvia

Catherine said...

i usually take my SSS shots on my own to avoid those very looks!! great shot - it invest that ordinary object with so much more!!

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

As simple as salt,
as complex as cream—this, child,
is how you must dream.

Orphaned truck shadows

Anonymous said...

I love this photo!!

studioJudith said...

Salt Shadows.
Superb.

No explanations needed!

Jjj

A Wild Thing said...

I sure hope my neighbors don't think I'm out foraging when they see me crawling along the ground or on all fours on my deck...well I do live in a pink house, in Iowa...nuff said!!!

BTW...my mom called from Florida and said she just saw the best shadow shot, I should come get it...to Florida, twist my arm!!!

Have a great weekend!

Chubby Chieque said...

Ha ha... I msd that post last week as I wasn't participating due to a very busy week-end coz daughter celebrated her 18th BD.

This is really awesome. So artistic.

Yeah, looks sky is the limit when chasing shadows, huh? But it's fun.

Happy SS to you, girl! Enjoy

Anonymous said...

Nice shadow shot! :D

Chasing Purple Dreams said...

Great little shadow! I noticed a fabulous shadow on out lunch table at a restaurant the other day, alas the camera was in the car and I was too into lunch to go and fetch it!

Laura said...

Fun shadow picture! My family hates it when I randomly whip out my camera or cell phone (even though they expect it now)...but when the pix are loaded onto my computer, they can't believe I saw what I did.

Hot Fudge said...

If you had been dining with my husband, he wouldn't have turned a hair. He's used to me whipping out my mobile phone and taking shots. And I voted as requested - how fortunate you are to have such a dedicated and talented art teacher at your school.

Sam said...

Taking a shot of the salt shaker like this makes you examine it when ordinarily you wouldn't - and it is beautiful in it's own quiet way! Nice shot!

Dimple said...

Very nice shot. Simple and different. Who would have thought about shadows INSIDE a salt shaker?

Jonny Hamachi said...

Great Shadow Shot!

Hey Harriet said...

Mmmm...I enjoy a sprinkling of salt with my shadows! Cool shot and I can totally relate to the story behind it!

I just voted! They're in the lead in their category. Woohoo! Hope they win!

Spadoman said...

I went to the Vans.com/customculture site and voted for Rio Rancho. All of the entries are great. Some fantastic artists out there in this world. By the results so far, Rio Rancho is right there in the mix. Hope the best for them.
I didn't do Shadow Shot this week as i was busy with the Cigar Box Shrine Art Auction, another good cause.
Your salt shaker is such a simple item, but everything casts a shadow, right? Sometimes, it's being in the right place at the right time and seeing what others don't see, in this case, that shaker. No amount of explaining can do it, you have to feel it.

Peace.

Kim, USA said...

I remember the story my mother told me, they trade chicken for salt (in WW2)! Love your shadow. Happy Sunday!

Antzy

Anonymous said...

That's such a clever photo! Isn't it amusing how differently we view the world when we're looking for shadows everywhere? I'm happy to hear that you also have friends who don't have a clue what you're talking about! Sometimes blog strangers feel more like friends.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin