Saturday, April 10, 2010

JAWS

Soaking it all in...

I admit I'm not a Botanist-this is some sort of palm tree on the property of a spa resort. I engaged in what could be considered rather 'normal' touristy behavior-you know, taking pictures of the beautiful property. Until I slip down under the leaves of the tree and kneeling on the ground, I am practically sticking my face into these jagged edged leaves. Much like sticking my head into the mouth of a great white shark. So, normal behavior until then, I guess!

It was those jagged edges and the bands of color and those wonderful, sharp shadows that had me to be a goner! I'm sure I looked like quite the crazy lady taking pictures in that manner.

And, this, my friends is what I think is truly meant by, "stop and smell the roses", or walk in the beauty around you" or, "enjoying the moment". Truly. You have to crawl up under the leaves of a tree looking like a fool, but, man oh man. It is so worth it!

Every week, a group of us from around the world post our shadow shots over at Hey Harriet. Entertain your muse and be amused by stopping by to see what others have posted! You can view all of my 2009 Shadow Shot Sunday images on my Flickr account. Click here and then select the "Shadow Shot" set.

20 comments:

robin. said...

well said!! awesome shots!! that's my kind of pictures...crawling across the ground to see things from a different angle. beautiful!!

Ralph said...

I see the profile of a crosscut saw, the teeth bent and in need of a good sharpening...

The things different from our norms are the things to capture. We travel to different places to try to get a feel of the place, the beauty that is unknown to us. Nature sometimes bears her teeth - it could just an innocent smile sent our way!

Catherine said...

crazy or not - the results are awesome!

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

Bless the jagged things!
They have neither claws nor fangs,
yet snag light and dark.

Stony Shadows

Anonymous said...

fabulous photos!!

Sarah said...

They are amazing shots-you are right-they really do look like shark's teeth! I quite agree with your crazy lady under the trees and smelling the roses attitude-so true! I (usually) don't care anymore, since becoming a blogger photos are far more important than a few funny looks from the uninitiated!

Sylvia K said...

Well said indeed! Those are my kind of pictures, too! And what terrific, colorful, imaginative shadows you have here! Love them!! Hope you have a great weekend, Paula!

Sylvia

Anonymous said...

you seem to see the world through the eyes of an artist! way to go, Paula!

A Wild Thing said...

If they only knew you were one of the famous Shadow Shooters, they would get it...ha! I think my neighbors are used to seeing me on all fours...wish my tree rows would grow faster!

Have a great weekend!

EG CameraGirl said...

Ha! Funny! Luckily you are NOT a goner.

Tom Hilton said...

Great shots! Abstract, but so evocative.

Rosebud Collection said...

What interesting pictures..Really neat. Amazing what we do for a good picture, but it sure is worth it.
Happy SSS.

Laura said...

:)

Cassie said...

Very cool Shadow Shots. They really do look like teeth. Neato!

Hey Harriet said...

I love these two shots! What an interesting looking plant species. I have no problems with crawling around like a loon while exploring the beauty around me. So many subtle little things can be missed if we don't do that. And I hate missing out on things! ;)

Spadoman said...

Both are great, but that second one is fantastic!

Anonymous said...

Aaa! Who cares what other people think, when you can post such amazing shadow shots as these? If only they knew!

Kim, USA said...

Wow beautiful shadow and at the same time the color is great. Happy Sunday!

SSS-Curved shadow

Hot Fudge said...

Well done - fabulous shots! I bet you went through a couple of boxes of band-aids after this little venture.

Anonymous said...

What incredibly beautiful blog you have! My compliments!

A footprint from Agneta & Sweden

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin