Monday, January 04, 2010

Why, Y, why, Y?????

ABC Wednesday is a word meme with participants from around the world. Our Host, Mrs. Nesbitt hails from Great Britain. Says Mrs. Nesbitt: "Some have been with us from the very first round, others have joined in along the way! What fun! Each week we are taken across the globe to see the varied and exciting contributions people have taken the time to discover and capture! ABC Wednesday is now entering a 3rd year of fun! I'll raise a glass to you all!". We started with the letter, "A" and each week we post something in regards to the next letter of the alphabet. This week's letter is, "Y".

YURT

For me, the reference to a yurt is Mongolian (although these structures exist in other geographical areas). A yurt is a circular wooden framed structure covered in felt made from sheep's wool. I haven't been to Mongolia, so this is an image from Joseph Tame's wonderful blog called, "The Daily Mumble" which documents his personal journey through life. Please stop by and visit the link I have here because it includes a great story of his trip to Mongolia along with other fabulous images. What a gem!

YJSATROS

Yjsatros is a Flamenco Dance Company local to the Albuquerque area. If you live in the area and haven't seen them perform, you are missing out on a treasure! Not many cities (especially here in the United States) can boast of a well established Flamenco Dance Company of international fame. There are some video clips on their website if you want a bit of a taste.

YEGG

A yegg is a safe cracker. Who'd a thought? It's a new one for me too. My husband had a small safe that he had when he was a young boy and passed it along to our son who then covered it in stickers before he retired it. That's my gloved hand pretending to be a yegg!

YODELER

This whimsical and humorous image is done by artist Rick Cardoza of Ohio (Rick Cardoza Illustrations). Check out the link to his website to see more of his illustrations in his portfolio. Very impressive body of work!

15 comments:

Sylvia K said...

Great Ys for the day, Paula! I nearly always learn something new here on ABC day! Have a great week!

Sylvia

Roger Owen Green said...

Who woulda thunk - 2 yurts in 19 posts!

Mara said...

A yegg? That's a new word for me as well. I like you giving it a go though...

Leslie: said...

Cool shots and even cooler words for our Y Day! :D

Kim, USA said...

Flamenco is a dance I could say very passionate. The movement of the hands, arms the poise is just lovely. A yegg is a new word for me thanks for sharing!

YOU

Tumblewords: said...

Paper, rock, scissors! We matched on yurt! :) Excellent choice of Y's. Nifty post, as usual. Gotta love a good yegg!

photowannabe said...

What fun Y's today. Yegg is a new one for me too. Clever reenactment.

Hildred said...

Wonderful Y's - particularly liked the dancers, - so graceful and fiery.

Kate said...

A good and varied series of "Y's!"

Rose said...

Paula, you've done it again--other than yodeler, these are all new words to me! You would think with all the crime dramas I watch, I would have heard of a yegg before:)

Bradley Hsi said...

I checked out the Daily Mumble website, he surely have a very interesting life. You again have a great Y collection. Thanks for sharing.

Joy said...

Ah now you have turned to safecracking, its a slippery slope. Mongolian yurts always look wonderful, the Mongolian link was fascinating and funny. Its on my dream list of places to go, now I know to avoid Ulaanbaatar (and to spell it correctly). Great collection.

jay said...

Oh, those are some great Ys! Love the safe cracker! ROFL!

That yurt looks cosier than some I've seen - the sheep's wool felt makes it sound much warmer than just bare canvas!

Joseph Tame said...

Thank you for your kind words and link, it's much appreciated.

Joseph :-)

Tania said...

Great Y and I love the Yurt with mountains in the background:-)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin