Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Roll Out Those R's!!

ABC Wednesday is a word meme with participants from around the world. Our Host, Mrs. Nesbitt hails from Great Britain. Says Mrs. Nesbitt: "Some have been with us from the very first round, others have joined in along the way! What fun! Each week we are taken across the globe to see the varied and exciting contributions people have taken the time to discover and capture! ABC Wednesday is now entering a 3rd year of fun! I'll raise a glass to you all!". We started with the letter, "A" and each week we post something in regards to the next letter of the alphabet. This week's letter is, "R".

ROCK

Or, in this case, rocks. There and literally hundreds upon hundreds of these stacked rocks in the Cathedral Rock State park in Sedona, Arizona. Most of you know these stacks to be 'cairns'.

REFLECTOR

Macro shot of a road reflector off of the Hwy 44 by Valle Grande.

ROADSIDE

Roadside decorations. Here in New Mexico, as we get near the Christmas Holiday, there are a lot of juniper trees off the roadside. Just about anywhere. The stretch of the I-25 freeway between Albuquerque and Santa Fe seems to be an area where seemingly random tree decorations occur. I think a group of people must take it upon themselves to pick a tree and each year, the same trees are randomly decorated. Which isn't random, but it does LOOK like it is. Mind you, these trees are along the roadside to a freeway, so this is not a safe and easy task. I can tell you that it is very heartwarming to see these trees. If you live locally and want to see these, they appear about a week before Christmas and there is usually a bunch of them between the rest stop that is north of La Bajada and south of Cerillos Dr.

RUST ABSTRACT

I call this my 'rust abstract'. I have a series of these in my private stash of images. They are macro shots of an old retired train from the Santa Fe rail yard. This retired car lives in Magdelena. If you like aged surfaces, rust, patinas, etc. this retired car will make you weak in the knees!

Gazing at this image up close (click on it for a larger view) is like looking for shapes in clouds. In this image alone, I saw turkey feathers, fish scales, two necks, a top hat (funky one), an elephant eye, seagull's head profile, a smoke plume, a series of mesas, and the detail around a dove's eye. And yes, I am indeed sober in finding these!

And, now, for 'dessert'! The really random (and somewhat obscure) "R" words!

Rabbinate. Alright, perhaps not obscure to those of you of the Jewish faith, but for me, it was! It is the supreme religious governing body of Israel.

Radon. The 'geek' in me had to include this one! A radioactive noble gas (the heaviest one). Radon is formed as part of the normal radioactive decay chain of uranium.

Reticulation. One of my most favorites words. And, one of my most favorite occurrences in art. Wikipedia didn't have a definition for me to put a link here and all the other web dictionaries didn't do it justice. The "free online dictionary" wasn't too bad, but that page was so full of ads, you'd never find the definition! So, here it is from that page:

Noun 1. reticulation - (photography) the formation of a network of cracks or wrinkles in a photographic emulsion photography, picture taking - the act of taking and printing photographs formation - natural process that causes something to form; "the formation of gas in the intestine"; "the formation of crystals"; "the formation of pseudopods" 2. reticulation - an arrangement resembling a net or network; "the reticulation of a leaf"; "the reticulation of a photographic emulsion" network - a system of intersecting lines or channels; "a railroad network"; "a network of canals"

I can get acrylic paint to reticulate too. Toner washes are really fantastic for creating reticulation. Reticulated metal is also amazing.

Recondite. Little known. Obscure. Sounds like me! Anyway, check out the link for more on the definition of this fabulous word!

So, there we go, girls and boys, ladies and gents! (drum roll here) The letter, "R"!

15 comments:

Sylvia K said...

Great R words for the day, Paula! Terrific photos, as always!

Enjoy your day!

Sylvia

photowannabe said...

Always a delight coming here to see what strange words you will give to us each time. Absolutely love your rust abstract. I am always hunting for things like that too.

Carolyn Ford said...

Such a great post especially since I am spending next weekend in Sedona, AZ! And, Cathedral Rock is one of the areas we will be sure to visit! My hiking shoes are patiently waiting!

Mara said...

I love the Christmas tree decorations. What a brilliant thing to do. I bet it puts a smile on people's faces.

Joy said...

I can't resist a bit of rust myself but yours is the tops, as is the rock variation cairn. Don't you love people who go all out for Christmas.

Janie said...

Great collection of R words. Several of them were new to me! Your rust abstract is pretty cool.

Leslie: said...

You always have so many great words each week and I look forward to seeing what you come up with. Good ones, again! I especially like your photo of the rust! :D

moongipsies@msn.com said...

...love the rust :)

jay said...

I love your old rusty railcar! Mmmm! I see an angel, a pinecone, a dustmite, and primitive sun and a bear's foot!

Reticulation does have a lovely sound to it, doesn't it? And radon - we have trouble with that in some areas here in the UK. If a house is built over granite, sometimes radon gas will seep inside from the foundations. As it is carcinogenic, the owners need to install a special ventilation system. Expensive, but necessary.

Reader Wil said...

I like your Rust Abstract! I saw flowers in it, a peacock and a dove!
Thanks for sharing! Have a nice ABC Wednesday!

Rose said...

Such an interesting post, Paula! I love the country around Sedona; I visited it once, and it took my breath away. But my favorite is the Christmas trees; how cool that people decorate them for Christmas--must bring a smile to every driver's face.

Now I must go pack my reticule for a day of running errands:)

Roger Owen Green said...

RIGHT on! Especially the rust.

Tumblewords: said...

All these r's are remarkable but the rust abstract is surely my favorite. It's amazing what you can 'find' in this photo.

Q said...

Fun Rs!
I love the rust. I too can gaze for hours and hours at old rusty things.
Sherry

d smith kaich jones said...

The rose in the rust is what I see first. LOL! And those Christmas trees are just wonderful. I am so not feeling any Christmas spirit gathering in me - these helped.

Thank you, ma'am!
:) debi

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin