Saturday, November 14, 2009

AKA (Shadow, connections)

Aka ( pronounced ah kah) is a Hawaiian word describing shadow, connections.

Our shadows are connected to us; symbolically and physically. How many of us as children have tried to runaway from our shadows on a summer's day on a sidewalk? Oh, I have! I found it fascinating that it was always with me. There is the dark side and the light side to us all. We cannot escape that, but we can choose to stay in the light.

The Hawaiian language is a very descriptive and intuitive language. It deals with the abstract. I thought this was a befitting title to use today.

These shadows are courtesy of a strip mall that has a Cost Plus store and the architect was kind enough to design benches that span the area in front of the stores there. This one is graced with a shade which cast this lovely shadow. I wish I could thank the architect in person for this consideration of a place to rest and to the one who footed the bill for this shopping area. I'm glad they didn't cut this out of the plan!

And, as I promised a few weeks ago to reveal more of the images from the Canoe Club at Molokai, here is another one. These canoes have a lot of 'mana'-Hawaiian for energy. It is as though they beckon to you to come and take them out to sea. They are all ready for their paddlers.

Every week, a group of us from around the world post our shadow shots over at Hey Harriet. Entertain your muse and be amused by stopping by to see what others have posted!

You can also view all Shadow Shot postings I've done by scrolling all the way down and on the left side you will see an archive of labels for my posts. Look for Shadow Shot Sunday and click on that link for an "all you can view" buffet of shadow shots!

16 comments:

Ralph said...

The bench sits under an angular shadow from the trellis above. The angles stand out even more when combined with the checkerboard grid on the wall. Almost as if the shadows are enticing us to enter this space...

Th Hawaiian background is the opposite of the above, totally natural shadows without the hint of man-made. Both are nice views, the artist and nature both making shadow magic...

Quilt Works said...

Love the shadow shot - looks like an abstract painting!


Shadows in Boston Downtown!

Sylvia K said...

I agree with Quilt Works, it does look like an abstract painting. Really terrific shadow shot! But then yours always are!

Have a great day!

Sylvia

Tom Hilton said...

Love the bold trellis shadows across the muted-color checkerboard wall. Nice shot.

robin. said...

great photo indeed...very eye catching.

happy sss,

Hot Fudge said...

Oh, I love this shadow shot - what a stunning quilt it would make!

Crafty Green Poet said...

I love the geometry of your shadows against the squares on the wall

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

Shadow, come with me,
I cannot leave you behind—
I’m yours and you’re mine.

My Shadow Shot

PJ said...

It certainly was considerate of the architect to set up that whole shot for you. And I wish I was in Molokai. '~(

Hey Harriet said...

The first one is quite mesmerizing! And the second is simply beautiful! I'm keen for a paddle in a canoe!

Jonny Hamachi said...

+1

whizkid said...

your first shot is just brilliant!

EJ said...

I love the shadows on the second shit!

Please check out shadows in Chinhae

wanderlust said...

I love these. The one of the bench and wall is just amazing. So angular and geometrical, I love it!

A Wild Thing said...

This shot is just filled with energy, it just seems to uplift your spirits by simply the power of the dark and the light playing against and with each other...wonderful shot!!! Like a power vortex, it beckons you to sit and ponder.

This Hawaiian culture just fascinates me, so much power in the meaning of being a part of life on Earth...one with the Mother, as are all native cultures...they were so wronged to have been altered/conquered...?

Have a wonderfully, sunny day!

sharon

d smith kaich jones said...

Oh! I was one of those children, terrified of my shadow. Terrified! Especially the summer shadow which would never leave! I love knowing the word aka - perhaps if I'd known it as a child, I would have been comforted.

xoxo
Debi

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin