Friday, November 06, 2009

Precious

I've posted this image about three years ago when I had completed it.

Statistics indicate (from what is reported, so I'm sure in reality, it is higher) that in this country, one out of four girls are molested by the time they hit age 13.

It is a shocking and unacceptable statistic.

What was interesting for me was to observe people's reaction to this piece when this was exhibited. I got to watch without anyone knowing that I was the artist. Kinda cool. There is usually not much conversation, but a really heavy silence. In some people, it was clear that there was a level of discomfort. And, in sharing this piece with fellow artists and friends I would either get some form of retraction or, "I was one of those". For those that did talk about it, there was a sense of relief.

It is a topic that people have trouble talking about. It involves feelings of shame. Betrayal. Hurt. Discomfort. Often the perpetrator is someone within the family or connected somehow.

For me, this was about raising the level of social awareness. If we don't talk about it and publicly say that this is unacceptable and that it needs to stop, it will only continue.

But, we need to make it OK to talk about it and make it OK to get help.

The reason why I'm posting this again (as you might guess by the title of this post) is because the movie, "Precious" is opening in select theaters this weekend and will continue to open across the country over the next few weeks. The movie is raw just like the subject matter. It isn't pretty. It's dark and ugly. But, it is a direct and honest look at what occurs too often. They do say that it does ends with some level of positive resolution.

As difficult as it may be to see this movie, go see it. I know I will.

2 comments:

Robert Redus said...

Bravo...wonderful post Paula, people do need to understand that the victim needs to speak out and that be perfectly OK...while our society recognizes the perpetrator...we rarely remember those the perpetrator has damage.... you are correct the statistics are totally and completely unacceptable...and that has to change....

d smith kaich jones said...

Amazing, strong piece.

xo
Debi

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin