Tuesday, April 20, 2010

A Notion to Needle Napoleon is Nuts

ABC Wednesday is a word meme with participants from around the world. This fabulous meme was created and hosted by Mrs. Denise Nesbitt who hails from Great Britain. We are now in our sixth round-some of the participants have been with this from the very first round; others have joined in along the way. Each week we are taken across the globe to see the varied and exciting contributions people have taken the time to discover and capture. We start with the letter, "A" and each week we post something in regards to the next letter of the alphabet. This week's letter is, "N".

NOTIONS

You know, as in sewing notions. Why are they called notions anyway? I Googled it and got too many other distracting search results that didn't answer my question. Is it because these things are highly specialized to sewing? Someone help me here!

Knock, knock. Who's there? Nacho? Nacho who? NACHO CHEESE!

Ah, yes, but this is not your ordinary rendition of Nachos. These are made with multi grain chips, soy cheese (for the lactose intolerant in the household: 2 out of 3) and topped with an artichoke bruschetta and green chili. I also added some home made refried beans to this after I took the picture!

NUTS

Please don't try to munch on these at home! But, where would we be without this wonderful invention? I think many things would fall apart. Too bad they can't hold us together emotionally!

NAPOLEON (NARCISSIST)

(image is a painting done by Jacques-Louis David)

Whether or not you liked the ambition and accomplishments of Napoleon, he certainly did have a huge impact on our world today. Talk about far-reaching...I think too, that he had to have been a bit of a narcissist. Some may disagree with this, but that's OK. What motivates one man (oh, and I know he's not the first or last) to have such a degree of ambition to conquer and have domain over so much? This always perplexes me, the motivation behind leaders like this. We need more Nelson Mandelas if you ask me.

And, a bit of a side track: the on-line auction of Cigar Box Shrines has begun. All proceeds raised go directly to the Street Children of Oaxaca. The auction will end on April 24th. 25 artists joined in this cause and created Shrines made from cigar boxes. Although the theme was a Day of the Dead theme, you will see literal and loose translations of this theme. I will say that the shrines created are all unique and creative. If you'd like to learn more about the shrine I made, you can always stop by my Molokai Girl Studio blog. I hope you see a shrine that you have to bid on and I hope you win the one you want!

14 comments:

MaR said...

What a fantastic collection for N!!
I'd love some nachos right now...

N is for numismatic!

photowannabe said...

Great series of N's. You succeeded in making me hungry for Natchos. Artichoke bruschetta sounds devine.

Sylvia K said...

What a terrific bunch of Ns, Paula! And between you, Tarun, and Denise, I am now starving!! It's going to be an early lunch today!! Such a wonderful post for the day, as always! Have a great week!

Sylvia

Roger Owen Green said...

Great collection, as always. I love the double N with that French chap.
ROG, ABC Wednesday team

Roger Owen Green said...

Great collection, as always. I love the double N with that French chap.
ROG, ABC Wednesday team

Leslie: said...

Those nachos (but NOT the nuts) look pretty nice. Regarding NN...I don't believe they had very good mirrors in those days. Otherwise, what would give him the impression he was so irresistible to women? lol

Unknown said...

Such a great post filled with n's! I think I like the nuts the best : )

Jama said...

I don't mind having those Nachos right now.

Jayne said...

I hadn't heard of 'sewing Notions' so I had to look it up - learned something New today! Why is it that I enjoyed seeing inside your sewing box so much? (Maybe I'm just incrediby Nosey)!

Napoleon fascinates me. As you say, what motivates someone to have such grand designs on the world? I suspect that he was actually Not very Nice to know as I don't see your average megalomaniac as warm and cuddly! :D

Kim, USA said...

Like the information and love the food too. Happy weekend!

ABC Wednesday~Nikon

Joy said...

The nachos look yummy, Napoleon sure did like having his picture painted. Never heard of sewing notions so had to look it up in my Chambers, what a useful north American haberdashery phrase, guess it comes from its other meaning of "any small useful article ingeniously devised or invented". Now I will be able to say I have a notion to get my notions box.

Jay said...

I have no notion why the sewing bits and pieces are called that! But it's a fun word, and I always used to take pleasure in it when doing needlework at school!

lv2scpbk said...

A good post and the food looks so good.

Tarun Mitra said...

I surely liked Nachos.. And I do like Napoleon...

Your nuts post is really funny lol nice post

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin