Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Of Quatrains, Quahogs and Quarks

ABC Wednesday is a word meme with participants from around the world. Our Host, Mrs. Nesbitt hails from Great Britain. Says Mrs. Nesbitt: "Some have been with us from the very first round, others have joined in along the way! What fun! Each week we are taken across the globe to see the varied and exciting contributions people have taken the time to discover and capture! ABC Wednesday is now entering a 3rd year of fun! I'll raise a glass to you all!". We started with the letter, "A" and each week we post something in regards to the next letter of the alphabet. This week's letter is, "Q".

Oh, the mighty Q!

Quarai Church

This is the Quarai church ruins which is part of the Salinas Pueblo Mission National Monument Park. It is breathtaking to see this in person. I was quite moved when I laid eyes on it for the first time. What is even more amazing is that it is built entirely by women (that is how the division of labor was dictated at that time in the Pueblo culture).

Quince

I've tried one of these (quince) and I wasn't overly impressed with it; I'm sure it tastes a lot better if tree ripened and picked fresh. That doesn't mean I don't like it-I just haven't had a 'real' one I think!

Quinine

Oh, I've never liked the way quinine tasted, so I never give it much thought. However, in boning up for this post, I learned more about it that was truly fascinating! Follow the link to find out more and why this image is glowing! The image is, of course from Wikipedia's site.

This one is the California Quail. I've tried to take pictures of quail in our yard as we've had the Gamble's quail here this past season (gosh, I really love them), but they are anxious creatures and take flight at the slightest of stirrings. I love quails, though. Oh, did I already say that I love them? : )

Quahogs. A hard clam. Apparently, there are two different species that are called "Quahog". The ocean Quahog is prized for Japanese sushi. These clams, it has been found, can live a long time (unknown as to how long). In 2007, a clam dredged off of the Icelandic coast was found to be around 405-410 years old!

Quatrain. An ancient form of poetry that dates back to Greek and Roman times. There are quite a few ways to express this 4 line structure of poetry; best check it out if you are curious to learn more!

Quaff. Drinking a beverage with hearty enjoyment. Remember the lyrics to the song, "Drink to Me Only"? Boy, if you substituted "quaff" there for "drink", it sure gives it a different feel, doesn't it?

Quark. "An elementary particle and a fundamental constituent of matter". It wasn't that long ago that the existence of quarks was not known. So, if you don't know that something exists because you can't see it, does it exist? Oh, and the earth is flat too!

11 comments:

Sylvia K said...

Ooooh! You found lots of Q words, Paula! I love them all! The first one is really interesting! Would love to visit there!

Have a great day! Thanks for visiting!

Sylvia

Rune Eide said...

I'm all for quarks and quasars!

Roger Owen Green said...

Great Qs, but I'm with you: I HATE quinine.

Carol said...

What an interesting Q post. The Quarai Church ruins are impressive. I enjoy reading the different Q words you come up with. When I lived in New England, we ate quahogs frequently. Great Q post.

photowannabe said...

What a fascinating series of words for the letter Q. I always learn so much from your posts. Thanks for sharing and I quaff my coffee to you...

Rinkly Rimes said...

A great selection and I love the architecture. But what will you use for the next round?

Joy said...

Quality Qs.
Indian tonic water is the one here that has quinine in it, perfect in a glass with gin.

Tumblewords: said...

Not fond of quinine myself but it surely has a multitude of uses. Quarks. Don't you wonder what we'll learn next? Now that we know the earth ISN'T flat?

Do you know 'quibre' - that's the word verification. :)

Rose said...

Amazing how many Q's you've come up with, Paula! The Quarai ruins look fascinating; how interesting that they were built by women!

jay said...

I love your ABC Wednesdays!

I knew quite a lot about quinine (OH takes it for leg cramps) but not that it flouresced! Interesting. You could find tonic water in the dark with a blacklight! LOL!

We saw some pueblo ruins on our recent holiday. Amazing people!

So. You like quails, then?

Q said...

That was so much fun!
I am weeks behind but am slowly catching up.
Loved all your Qs!I shall remember quaff as it is the way I drink my coffee every morning.
Sherry

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin