Saturday, July 16, 2016

Axis Deer On Molokai











Axis deer here on Molokai probably outnumber the human population-being that they have no natural predators here. The deer, I mean.They were introduced to the island of Molokai as a gift to King Kamehameha V from Hong Kong. 
I know they are in our yard every night as I always see fresh deer scat on the lawn the following day. They make gardening a challenge as they like to eat all the new growth-especially your seedlings!

The deer are a main food source for the locals and many a front yard has a line of antler racks on the tops of their chain link fences. Understand though, that the locals do not do trophy hunting as a rule-that is frowned upon and seen as a waste of meat that could fill a deep freeze and sustain a family for a month or so.

Many a night here on Molokai, I can hear their barks-their form of communication with one another. Usually at night as the daytime 'noise' are roosters crowing in our gully below. Often the deer barking is right here in our back yard-once, I was outside and heard a bark across our yard in the dark. I stood still trying to see if I could see it, but could not. He was so close, though, that I could hear him sucking in his breath and knew it was a buck. I wanted to let him know who I was, so I barked back. He left (or, so I think he did).

Join us as a group of us (yes-there are many of us!) from around the world post our shadow shots over at Shadow Shot Sunday 2. Entertain your muse and be amused by stopping by to see what others have posted!

1 comment:

Gemma Wiseman said...

Gorgeous twists in that rugged tree trunk. And I am surprised at the sound of the deer being like a bark.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin