Monday, December 09, 2013

"A Virgin A Day": Day 9 Our Lady's Tears



This Virgin Mary statue design was done by Nambe.
Nambe is a family-owned company and began during modernism's mid-century design movement. I love seeing all the different ways that Mary is portrayed throughout the ages. 

I think that many wonder why there are so many prayers said to Mary. I believe it is because she is seen as the Universal Mother and is the best advocate one could call upon. Who wouldn't want an advocate? 

Our Lady's Tears



Flowers of the Virgin Mary: Lily of the Valley: Our Lady's Tears


There are many flowers that are associated with Mary. Some are more well known than others.

The Lily of the Valley - tiny white nodding bell-shaped flowers can be likened to a train of tears-hence, Our Lady's Tears. These flowers are said to have blossomed from Mary's tears for her Son as she stood at the foot of the Cross (these flowers are associated with the month of May). I don't know if you've ever caught the fragrance of these delightful and delicate little white flowers, but, oh! They do have a heavenly scent. My mother used to have some cologne that she liked to use that was called, Lily of the Valley.

As human beings, we all turn to examples of what we are trying to model our behavior after. It serves as a reminder to keep trying. It serves as inspiration. Most importantly, perhaps, is that it serves as an example to follow (as best we can).

It's not about idolatry worship-nothing could be further from the truth. It's about recognition and honoring the role that this incredible woman was chosen for.

An annual tradition for a group of us (hosted by the amazing Rebecca Brooks) is to post something about our Blessed Mother for 12 days-starting with December 1st and concluding on the Feast Day of Our Lady Of Guadalupe on Dec. 12th. I will admit, that for all of us, our lives are busy lives; particularly as we head into the Holiday Season. This kind of commitment is not as easy to do as one would think! However, it is not an exclusive group. You may join in just for one day, partial, or all!

And, by all means, please be sure to stop by and visit a few others who are on this 12 day journey.

7 comments:

Nonnie said...

what a stunning photo of the Lily of the Valley! I think that we never outgrow our need for our mother.

Priti Lisa said...

What a beautiful post Paula, Lily of the valley are a favorite of mine. Your Mary is stunning and the background is super cool! ♥ ♥ ♥

Jill said...

I'm new to this 12 days of Mary and will probably only link once but I hope to continue on with more Mondays with Mary. So happy to meet others with this devotion! I have Lilly of the Valley and have not heard the association with our blessed mother before. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

I have a friend who collects Nambe but I had never seen this piece before. It's stunning. I love how you find out all this information for us. Your way of thinking about Mary as the Universal divine feminine is how I personally feel myself.

Gillena Cox said...

luv the sculpture; have a good day

much love...

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

I have loved lily of the valley for as long as I can remember, and this is the first time I have ever heard it called Our Lady's Tears! (Where have I been all these years?)

Annie Jeffries said...

Very true, Paula. She is the Universal Mother. She is our advocate, our intercessor, our sure path the her Son.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin