Saturday, April 13, 2013

Be Aware of What's Around You




Judging by the title of this post, you'd think it would have to do with self defense. But, really, it's about taking a nanosecond or two in your daily routine to look and see what is around you. You know, stop and celebrate the mundane. Mundane is worth it.

Yes, a nanosecond is all it takes-don't tell me you dont' have time!

You know this is my mantra-you've heard me beat this 'drum' many times now! But, it is so worth repeating and this image is proof.

Like anyone else, I have those days where it is one errand on top of the other and when you are at your last stop, all you want to do is make that bee line for home. My last stop last Sat. on that mega errand round was Total Wine (check your local listing to see if you have one in your city-as an enophile, I am in wine heaven!) over at the Cottonwood Corners right down the hill, so to speak, from where I live. 

Did I mention that I was famished too and that I had also picked up food to go from Pei Wei and the aroma of the food was driving me mad? No, I didn't think so. But, yes, I was FAMISHED. Blood sugar plummeting like a thermometer's mercury dropping.

Anyway, the car was all loaded up with my goodies and I was putting the shopping cart back in the cart corral when I turned my head slightly up and caught out of the corner of my eye, this strip of blue ribbon in the tree (which was still bare from winter) that I had parked next to. Curiosity got the best of me as to why this ribbon was in that branch in the manner that it was and lo and behold! It was a bird's nest and the artistic bird had woven gift wrap ribbon throughout it's nest. No eggs, but curious red seeds of some sort were in it too. By the way, I was not far from a Chuck E Cheese place either (kid's birthday parties). As you might imagine, I got pretty excited and I'm sure I started to have a conversation with myself about the wonderment of it all (never mind that others going out to their cars could hear me). And, as if muttering to one's self publicly wasn't enough, what else do you think I did? You guessed it. Out comes the cell phone and snap, snap, snap away I went. Tip toeing and reaching up as far as my arms would go while trying to take the picture. And chattering happily to myself. Yep. That's exactly what I did.

Sigh....I even forgot how hungry I was, I was so happy at this find!

Had I not looked up just a wee bit and caught that blue in the corner of my eye, it would've been just another Saturday.

So, don't you just have another Saturday. Or another Sunday. Or whatever the day of the week it is. Make it special and steal that nanosecond-the dividends are immense!

Every week, a group of us from around the world post our shadow shots over at Shadow Shot Sunday 2. Entertain your muse and be amused by stopping by to see what others have posted!


You can view all of my 2012 Shadow Shot Sunday images on my Flickr account. Click here to view them.

13 comments:

Sylvia K said...

We all need to slow down and LOOK around so we don't miss the beauty that is always there somewhere and what joy and delight it can bring to any moment, on any day!! Thanks for the reminder, Paula, and I love your shadow shot for the day! Creative little bird, huh!!! Have a great weekend!

Chubby Chieque said...

Hello Paula,
It's been awhile not visiting you but now am back, I won't miss your posts. LoL*

You are right. It only take a minute to slow down. Our problem is, we always in a hurry in everything we are doing.

Nowadays, I slowed down to the max and I embrace the beauty of my surroundings.

Thank you for the reminder once again. Great shots as ever.

Hugs,
/CC girl

Nonnie said...

your capture of the bird's nest is so serendipitous for me! earlier this morning I watched Jack Hanna's Wild Countdown. One of the animals he featured was the blue bower bird who collects blue items for his nest to lure a mate there! now my grey day has developed into a true blue day!
color me delighted!

robin. said...

perfect my mundane pal!! what a great find...plus you added entertainment to the CC crowd!! happy weekend!!

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

Bright colors and bold shadows--you captured them all!

Cactus Shade

Hootin Anni said...

Aren't birds amazing? I read somewhere that this time of year it's a good idea to throw out tidbits of string, ribbon and dryer lint for the nest builders.

Great photo.

Hootin' Anni's Tin Man Shadow

Ralph said...

The mama bird knows that eggs are a gift of nature, so she gift wrapped the nest to proclaim how happy she is. A work of art by an artist of nature. Amazing!

namaki said...

photography helps a lot to be aware of our environment !

genie said...

I just knew it was a bird's nest. So glad I was right. It is certainly a unique one...but then, all bird's nests are unique. This one is uniquely beautiful. genie

Anonymous said...

Wonderful post ~ I so agree ~ Fantastic photo for Shadow Shot ~ love it ^_^

Chubskulit Rose said...

That's a very colorful nest!

My Shadow Shots
Your comment is always appreciated, have a blessed Sunday!

Anonymous said...

wow, what a find!
The owner must be very hippie to decorate like this :)

Priti Lisa said...

I know exactly what you mean.
The wonder of color
or something shiny
talking to my self-
even in public sometimes...
I know.
Great post and photo♥

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin