Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Portly Pugs Playing Pianos Pleasantly


ABC Wednesday is a word meme with participants from around the world. This popular meme was created and hosted by Mrs. Denise Nesbitt who hails from Great Britain. Over time, others have joined in to help host this wonderful and informative meme. We are now in our ELEVENTH round with 'Captain Roger' at the helm! Some of the participants have been with this from the very first round; others have joined in along the way. Each week we are taken across the globe to see the varied and exciting contributions people have taken the time to discover and capture. We start with the letter, "A" and each week we post something in regards to the next letter of the alphabet. This week's letter is, "P".

PAULDRON

 (image from Wikipedia)

Pauldron: a component of plate armor that covers the shoulder that evolved from spaulders around the 15th century.

PAVIS

(image from Wikipedia)

Pavis. (or, pavise or pavese, etc.): a large shield used in medieval warfare as a protection for the bearer and sometimes, a companion archer.

PECCANY



Peccany has to do with violating a rule or an accepted practice. It has other meanings too-such as sinful, causing or signifying a disease, transgression, morbid, not healthy. But, in this context, I'm going with the first definition stated. I might have been where I shouldn't have been when I took this image. I won't say for sure, but I might've been peccant.

PINATA!


Pinata. I suppose it would be wrong to assume that everyone in the world knows what a pinata is. But, I will offer a definition because I shouldn't assume! A pinata is a container made of paper machie that is filled with candy or toys and is broken as a part of a ceremony or celebration (usually birthday parties for children).

Hmmmm....maybe we should be putting out a pumpkin pinata on our front porch this Wednesday for Halloween?

11 comments:

Sylvia K said...

Terrific Ps for the day, Paula, as always! Hope your week is going well! Aren't we lucky not to live on the East Coast!!!

Carver said...

Great shots and P words as always. Carver, ABC Wed. Team

Meryl said...

Sweet shots and "p's" but I was kind of hoping to see the pugs plucking away at the piano!

Roger Owen Green said...

pauldron; rhymes with cauldron - now THAT I had heard of

ROG, ABC Wednesday team

photowannabe said...

A Pumpkin Pinata...never thought of that.
Love the choice of words which I probably will never use in my everyday life. I have definitely been peccant taking photos myself.
Fun post as always Paula.

Leslie: said...

I vote for the pumpkin pinata and I'll be right over! lol

Leslie
abcw team

carol l mckenna said...

What great and unique choices for 'p' ~ very informative post and great photos ~ (A Creative Harbor) ^_^

Chubskulit Rose said...

Piñata is very popular from the country where I came from.

Pile of Leaves
Rose, ABC Wednesday Team

Joy said...

You were right to include the description of pinata because in common with all the words beautifully illustrated this week, never heard of it.

A Cuban In London said...

Great post as usual. I should also mention that in Spanish we say "piñata". In the Spanish-speaking world, especially in Latin America, piñatas are very popular and I have very fond memories of pushing my way through a crowd of children to get at the sweets that fallen from it. :-)

Greetings from London.

Sharp Little Pencil said...

"Peccany" is probably where the word "impeccable" came from, don't you think? I loved "pauldron," it sounds like half plate, half cauldron at a restaurant: "Watch that bottom plate, it's very hot!" says the waiter, serving French Onion Soup. (wink) Thanks for teaching us more words. Between you, Roger, and Berowne, I feel so enriched. Glad to be back after long vacation... peace, Amy
http://sharplittlepencil.com/2012/11/01/november-dilemma/

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin