Saturday, June 30, 2012

Classical Gas

One of my favorite stops on the way up to Taos, NM is over in Embudo at Johnnie Meier's museum of old gas pumps, oil cans, and all the memorabilia that one would imagine in the good old days of Route 66 travel.

It's a hobby of his-and sometimes he sells stuff. Johnnie is friendly, warm and open to conversation.

I was up that way not too long ago and was traveling alone, so I took my sweet you know what time taking as many photos as I wanted to. What an indulgence! Being that this museum is mostly an outdoor museum, it was shadow land aplenty!




Hmmmm...that insignia on the bottom looks familiar, doesn't it?



Same pump, different angle. The hose looks somewhat like an elephant's trunk, doesn't it?

You might know that I have a fondness for weathered, aged and surfaces with a patina-particularly if they have patterns and textures. This one hits a home run with me. As did many other of the shots I took that morning.

Cue Bing Crosby singing, "Heaven, I'm in heaven..."!


My older brother, Patrick Mondoy, used to play, "Classical Gas" on his guitar and did it quite well. I recall that he was self taught which made it all the more impressive!




I might point out that that is not my brother in the video! It was just a random pick from You Tube. Video didn't exist when my brother was picking that tune, circa 1968...


"Everything that we see is a shadow cast by that which we do not see." (Martin Luther King)

Every week, a group of us from around the world post our shadow shots over at Shadow Shot Sunday 2. Entertain your muse and be amused by stopping by to see what others have posted! You can view all of my 2011 Shadow Shot Sunday images on my Flickr account. Click here to view them.


11 comments:

Sylvia K said...

Wonderful shadow shots for the day as always, Paula! Love video!!! Enjoy your weekend!!

Sylvia

Kelly said...

Your elephant shadow is fun - and Classical Gas is a great song!

Patti said...

I also like the see the memorabilia from the old Route 66 days.

We have an interesting book about that famous route.


Yes, I agree that the hose shadow looks like an elephant. ;-)

Hope you have a fun Fourth of July!

Ralph said...

The gasoline pumps of the day had a great art-deco kind of style about them that belied their utilitarian uses, bit that 1930s style is outstanding! They do not market Chevron gasoline in the East these days, and wasn't gas either Ethyl or Hi-Test back then...

Classical Gas is a cool song - I am old enough to remember I bought that 45 all the way back in 1968 - if I recall, Warner Bros. with a green label. Your brother plays it wonderfully, very sparse of notes which makes it sound so pure. The record is great, but with the strings added giving it a less nuanced and more manufactured sound - to sell recods. Your brother makes it sound so natural in acoustic - fabulous performance!

Catherine said...

What a great idea for a museum...great shots

Paula Scott Molokai Girl Studio said...

I should point out that that is not my brother in the video! That was a random pick from You Tube and yes, my bad for not pointing that out!

Gemma Wiseman said...

OOOOOOOOO! Shadows suggest shapes just as clouds do! Love that elephant shadow shape or it could be a stretching giraffe's neck? And old peeling pumps are such intriguing works of art! Classical Gas? always loved the vibrant beat of that song!

Chubskulit Rose said...

Thanks for sharing the video, it's beautiful! You are right, our posts are related hehehe. Have a blessed Sunday Kelly.

Chubskulit Rose said...

I meant Paula instead of Kelly. My bad.

MyMaracas said...

Perfect video to accompany your photos. I do love the textures and colors here.

BLOGitse said...

Great shadows but I really love this kind of music!
Back home in Helsinki but more Spain pics coming at the weekend! :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin