Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Elks Engineer Eloping Erratically


ABC Wednesday is a word meme with participants from around the world. This fabulous meme was created and hosted by Mrs. Denise Nesbitt who hails from Great Britain. Over time, others have joined in to help host this wonderful and informative meme. We are now in our TENTH round! Some of the participants have been with this from the very first round; others have joined in along the way. Each week we are taken across the globe to see the varied and exciting contributions people have taken the time to discover and capture. We start with the letter, "A" and each week we post something in regards to the next letter of the alphabet. This week's letter is, "E".

ESCAROLE

(image from Farmgirl Susan at the website called, Gather)

Escarole. Endive. What's the difference? Is there?

My mom loved endive. She even tried to grow in on Molokai. I tried it and found it to be bitter. Maybe it's not supposed to be, but I never learned to enjoy the taste of endive.

Wikipedia clarifies:

"There are two main varieties of cultivated endive:

Frisée (withered)
  • Curly endive, or frisée (var crispum). This type has narrow, green, curly outer leaves. It is sometimes called chicory in the United States and is called chicorée frisée in French. Further confusion results from the fact that frisée also refers to a technique in which greens are lightly wilted with oil.
  • Escarole, or broad-leaved endive (var latifolia) has broad, pale green leaves and is less bitter than the other varieties. Varieties or names include broad-leaved endive, Bavarian endive, Batavian endive, grumolo, scarola, and scarole. It is eaten like other greens, sauteed, chopped into soups and stews, or as part of a green salad."

ELK


 Majestic elk. In the northern part of New Mexico, there is a lot of elk. I suppose the hunters like that-particularly when elk season comes around. This one was part of several herds we saw on our last visit to Chaco Canyon.

Hence, the sign.




And a video in case the elk and the sign weren't enough! Let me know if this makes this blog load up too slowly and I will take it down. I've never tried using this feature on Blogger before.

EAST END



Yep. That's what we refer to the eastern part on the island of Molokai: East End. Used as a reference as a place or destination. It's not that this beach is called East End. But, it is located on the East End of the island. That's what I mean by it being a reference for quite a bit of the island-about a third of it.

15 comments:

Carver said...

These are all good words and shots but I particularly love the one of the majestic elk. I used to grow mixed lettuces where one pack had a little of every thing. I think that was my favorite for salads. Carver, ABC Wednesday Team

EG CameraGirl said...

Elk are handsome animals. Suddenly I am very hungry for some salad...

Chubskulit Rose said...

I would love to explore the east end area.

Happy valentine's day!

Emergency Scam
Rose, ABC Wednesday Team

photowannabe said...

I find Elk very interesting. How can such a huge animal have such a small squeak for a voice?
Wish I was on Molokai today. Guess I'm getting antsy to go someplace.

Roger Owen Green said...

Yes, I never could keep those ENDIVE things straight. Tried one and it was great, another time inedibly bitter.

ROG, ABC Wednesday team

Leslie: said...

The video played just fine - you can actually hear the wind! There are lots of elk up in Canada, too. I'm wondering if the sand on that beach is what they refer to as black sand.

Leslie
abcw team

Gigi Ann said...

I love Endive, I make a creamy dressing favored with bacon fat and pour it over the endive with a little onion mixed in, crumble the bacon over the top, slice a boiled egg, and mix together... delicious... Now I'm hungry.

Kay L. Davies said...

Love your title. And your elk post is more exciting than mine. I would have no idea how to add a video onto my blog, but enjoyed yours!
K

??? said...

I saw some elks in the wild a few years ago, quite a treat. Endive can be quite tasty, but I've had really bitter ones as well.

Reader Wil said...

Thanks for this post! I love endive, the broad leaves variant, and I don't think our endive is bitter. If it is you can eat it with applesauce.
The elks are very elegant animals!
Great choice for your E-words!

Kate said...

The elk are majestic looking animals. Chaco Canyon sounds like a great place to visit; haven't been there in years.

Carver said...

Excellent shots of the beautiful elk. Carver, ABC Wednesday Team

J.Rylie.C said...

he lettuce looks so crunchy!

E is for Entertainment, please come and see.

Joy said...

I find the red endive bitter too, give me a nice crunchy lettuce any time. I didn't know there were elk in New Mexico, but then I don't think I've ever thought of their range. I will have to look it up. Love the sign.

Sharp Little Pencil said...

Would love to visit Molokai someday. Sounds like heaven. And yes, elk are lovely, in all their varieties... Nice to see you, Paula! Amy
http://sharplittlepencil.wordpress.com/2012/02/14/crystalline/

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin