Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Euphemisms and Encaustic

ABC Wednesday is a word meme with participants from around the world. Our Host, Mrs. Nesbitt hails from Great Britain. Says Mrs. Nesbitt: "Some have been with us from the very first round, others have joined in along the way! What fun! Each week we are taken across the globe to see the varied and exciting contributions people have taken the time to discover and capture! ABC Wednesday is now entering a 3rd year of fun! I'll raise a glass to you all!". We started with the letter, "A" and each week we post something in regards to the next letter of the alphabet. This week's letter is, "E".

Encaustic

Encaustic collage on pine. This one was named, "Liberation" and sold! Yay. Rare, but thrilling for me, nonetheless!

Elecampane

Elecampane has many medicinal properties. The most recent discovery is having anti cancer properties. I am not growing any at the moment and got the image from Google images. I've gone back to look for the link and now it is gone! Otherwise, I'd give credit. A pretty good link for all around herbal info can be found here.

The East End of Molokai

Photo taken by Mark Scott on his point and shoot camera. That is what we call the eastern end of the island: East End. This is the very furthermost eastern part of the island where the mouth of the Halawa Valley river meets up with the sea.

Eggs

These are not real eggs, but my faux rusty eggs in progress. I also have some little ones in progress too. I don't have anything specific in mind for them, but when I need them, they are ready to go!

And the euphemisms? Well, my mom was full of them. Too hard to provide images of that here, but one of the ones that she said A LOT was, "That's the way the cookie crumbles." Kind of a polite way of saying, "Too bad, get over it!". She grew up in the heart of America, in Ashley, Illinois. Many of her euphemisms were very much so mid-Western.

Have an alpha-happy, euphemism filled day!

20 comments:

James said...

Very nice and fun post. The photo of the East End of Molokai is amazing!

foto CHIP said...

Love the bay photo and the eggs. Some E-words I have never heard before :)

Linda Jacobs said...

Wonderful artwork! I like how the spots on the butterfly wings look like eyes.

Interesting post!

gone to the dogs said...

an eclectic presnetation for the letter E. I love the faux eggs!

EG CameraGirl said...

I like the encaustic! I'm not at all surprised it's sold. ;-)

Carol said...

Love your encaustic collage..."Liberation" suits it...and the east end of molokai is beautiful...

Rinkly Rimes said...

Interesting words and pictures from a place that's new to me!

Granny Smith said...

The encaustic is gorgeous! The faux eggs are fun. And the photos are lovely.

photowannabe said...

Fascinating choice of words. You made me wonder what you will do with those eggs and congrats on selling the painting. Thats great.

Paula Scott Molokai Girl Studio said...

Here's what I did with some of those eggs:

http://pmondoy.blogspot.com/2008/10/cigar-box-shrine.html

Tumblewords: said...

Congratulations on the sale! I love that artwork! Nice post, all the way around. I've heard of elecampane but didn't remember what I heard! Great photos...

Bradley Hsi said...

I am particular like the picture of the Encaustic. It is very beautiful. Scenery of East End of Molokai is stunning.

Jay said...

I learned something new! I had no idea what that hot wax art was called! Pretty - and fun to do, I bet!

Love the rusty eggs!

Roger Owen Green said...

2 more new words for the vocabulary.

lv2scpbk said...

Cool eggs.

Q said...

Congratulations on the selling of your wonderful painting.
The eggs are very cool too.
Being an artist is so fun and when art pays the bills it is exciting!
Wonderful es!
Sherry

Dimple said...

I had to follow the link for encaustic, thank you for providing it. I learn a lot from other bloggers! What a thrill to sell some work, when it's not a usual occurrence-congratulations!

Ren said...

Lots of great stuff. I am just so enjoying encaustics!

Judi said...

Two new words on 'E' day for me. Lovely artwork!

rebecca said...

beautiful "E"ssss.

i am collecting "M"iracles on my blog...and i need one from you!

xoxoxo,
r

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin