Friday, October 27, 2006

Holding my breath...

Fifteen years ago this little boy of ours was born. I never thought we'd ever succeed at having a child; I was 32 years old when we 'started' to have our family. By the time I turned 37 I was desperately hoping to have a child soon (not wanting to be a 'senior' parent). As you might imagine, John's arrival four days after my 37th birthday was incredible even though he was a month early! With his being a preemie, every night when I went to bed I would hope and pray that nothing would happen in the middle of the night. Each morning when I was beckoned to his crib by his wake up cry for food, I was always so relieved and joyous that nothing bad had happened. I don't remember how many years I went through this; at least until he was 2 or 3 years old. Now, at 15 years old, I still find myself 'holding my breath', but for different reasons. I hope he never hooks up with bad elements. I hope he never gets hooked on drugs. I hope he doesn't get into an accident. I hope he does well in school. The list of anxieties goes on and on. I think the list gets bigger when they become teenagers! I'm told by others whose children are now adults that this sort of anxiety never goes away. Dammit! I never imagined that 15 years could go by so quickly. I never imagined that the baby that came home with me that barely weighed in at 4 pounds 1/2 ounce is now a towering five foot eleven and a half inches tall weighing in at around 155 lbs! Children have no idea how much their parents are able to love them. Nope, this must be by design for some divine reason that escapes me. It's not until you have children of your own that that light bulb goes off. So, here's to that preemie that came into my life 15 years ago and took it over for good! Happy, happy birthday John! Love, Mom

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin