Saturday, September 30, 2006

Fear is just an emotion...

These are mixed media pieces are shown here from a little visual journal I started (it's a work in progress that will probably span a decade, no doubt!). Titles are, "Dios de los Muertos" and "Mi Milargro". Yeah, yeah, not very inventive names, I know. But, it is what it is! I don't watch tv all that much, but lately, when I do, it's been the Travel Channel. The other night I caught the first episode of what I think will be a series of six total called, "Moms on the Road in Africa". Eight moms were selected to travel for six weeks in Africa. They have no idea what the itenerary is for each day. Most of the moms are young, but one of them is old enough to be their mother. She is a wise sage, she is. One of their adventures was to rapel down a 3,000 foot cliff off of what is called Table Mountain in South Africa. Now, I'm kinda adventurous, but just looking at that mountain on tv gave me a case of vertigo! This older woman in the group did not opt out, however. In fact, she was one of the first to go down. She told the younger one with her that, " Fear is just an emotion, not a brick wall. You can walk right through it." Yipes! How terribly profound! That will serve as inspiration for me when I think I'm afraid to try a new venture. I'll remind myself that is just an emotion and keep moving forward. Table Mountain, South Africa

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin