Thursday, January 01, 2009

The Spiral

(The EIGHTH day of Christmas)

I can't think of a better image to start off the New Year with than a spiral. A universal symbol that has been seen throughout time and in just about every culture. It represents birth, regeneration, fertility, power, transformation.

Oddly enough, I wasn't sitting here racking my brains trying to think of what to use for my first image of 2009. I was going through my images that I had 'stashed' for the December Views postings for ones that I didn't use that might tickle my fancy. I spot this one remembering that I liked it and hadn't used it.

As an artist, I have very little trouble in seeing the potential within the smallest or most mundane of objects. As a person, I do have trouble in seeing the potential within myself. I flinch and want to cast my gaze away from seeing the possibilites that lie within. I think many of us are like that, right? If someone asked me to name what my potential would be, I would be at a loss for words. I guess I'm going to have to 'work' on that one!

Spencer Johnson, M.D. (of "Who Moved My Cheese?" fame) sums it up the best by posing this question:

"What would you do if you weren't afraid?"

I call that a seed for transformation.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

and i hope for yo that you will plant that seed in fertile soil this year paula :) this is truly a perfect image for beginning.
xo

Paula Scott Molokai Girl Studio said...

Yes, indeed! I shall have to be mindful to tend to it too so that it can grow!
Thanks

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin