Friday, January 02, 2009

On Being Mindful

(The NINTH day of Christmas)

I can't do resolutions. Too much pressure. People are watching (well, or so it feels like it). You know how hard it is to do something if you feel like you're being watched? It's only me watching me, but somehow or other, it paralizes me.

Instead, I create goals for myself. Some of them get created at the start of the year, but most are created on a rolling basis. Some of them have rolled over several years! But, that's OK. I haven't lost sight of them, it's just that some need more time for it to happen.

When I left UNM in September of 2007, many asked me what I was gong to do with myself. My reply was to 'catch up on life'. Instead, I ended up jamming way too many projects in one year. So, I really don't feel like I've 'caught up on life'.

I think that NOW is the time. I swear, I'm going to SLOW DOWN. It takes mindful decision making on my part to do that. I can only take one day at a time on being mindful of slowing down.

And, today, I did. And, because I did, I was able to enjoy lunch with my husband. At the spur of the moment, I made pizza from scratch (and a loaf of bread). Helped my teenage son do a home version of chemically straightening his hair (oh the looks I would get from him if he knew I posted this!).

And, it gave me the gift of time to find this happy accident of a rose amongst my image files. At the time when I took it, it wasn't the image I was after. In hindsight, I rather like this accident.

So, perhaps I will go out on a limb and call this mindfully slowing down a resolution. It's a good place to be.

2 comments:

Raesha D said...

What a great goal!!! I only have one for this year - SIMPLIFY.

Rui Sousa said...

Nice, just poetry!
regards!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin