Saturday, May 25, 2013

Basking Lizard


Have you ever watched a lizard in the early morning warming up in the sun? In Hawaii, we have these lizards that are called, skinks. When they warm up in the morning sun, they do push ups. I swear, they do! It's quite hysterical to watch. We don't have those skinks here in our yard in New Mexico and I've never seen the ones here do that push up move. They just, well, bask.


This one looks like he's trying to do push ups too. Either that, or croon into that 'microphone'! Which is really one of those things you put on your hose to regulate the water flow. No matter, it was fun to catch him in the act!

What ever it is that you do on this holiday weekend (Memorial Day), I hope you have fun and I hope you have sun! I'll be posting a tribute to our vets on Sunday, so be sure to tune in for that one too.

And, a follow up to last week's solarabra-moving it to a sunnier spot did not help. I believe I have 6 solar lights that are duds. And, I can't return them since I've taken them apart and glued them to something! Good thing they were inexpensive. I guess I'll have to step it up a notch and get better ones and hope they work. I'm looking for that magic.

Every week, a group of us from around the world post our shadow shots over at Shadow Shot Sunday 2. Entertain your muse and be amused by stopping by to see what others have posted!

10 comments:

Crafty Green Poet said...

so funny to think of lizards doing push ups!

Lovely photo

robin. said...

1 and 2 and 3 and 4. Morning exercise in!! great shadow shot paula. happy weekend!!!

Ralph said...

A skink is new to me - he could be performing his AM exercises...or posing for the photographer. This golden lizard is a very cool animal, more human than reptile in this great capture!

Gemma Wiseman said...

I thought this was a statue of a skink on a garden wall! It looked like some form of plaster carved and painted gold! Fascinating photo!

namaki said...

that's a fierce lizard too ! very impressive !

Cassie said...

A good looking fellow, even if he is not a skink! Have a great week.d

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

Offhand, I would say that a basking lizard is better than a barking lizard. I do believe I would flee from the latter!

Cactus Shadows/Sun

Anonymous said...

I thought like Gemma, a statue.
Never seen a skink but it looks BIG.
Hope he eats all the mosquitos etc.
In Finland we have only tiny lizards...
Have a good week ahead - see you again in mid-June!

Patti said...

Now this looks like a ;piece of art and not a living lizard ;-)

I think he/she needs a name, don't you?

I imagine a skink might stink. Is that true? ;-)


Hope you had a nice Memorial Day weekend (it's Tuesday morning as I write this).

Chubskulit Rose said...

Oh I thought it's artificial, is it really real?

Shadow Shots at my page.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin