Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Zazazooooooom! Ending ABC Weds round 10 with zany z's


ABC Wednesday is a word meme with participants from around the world. This fabulous meme was created and hosted by Mrs. Denise Nesbitt who hails from Great Britain. Over time, others have joined in to help host this wonderful and informative meme. We are now in our TENTH round! Some of the participants have been with this from the very first round; others have joined in along the way. Each week we are taken across the globe to see the varied and exciting contributions people have taken the time to discover and capture. We start with the letter, "A" and each week we post something in regards to the next letter of the alphabet. This week we are at the last letter of the alphabet, "Z". Next week we will start all over again at the top of the alphabet in round 11!



ZINCIFEROUS


Zinciferous-containing or produced from zinc. Hmmmmm....if only I had images of peoples' noses at the beach that have white all over it (sunblock with zinc). That would be a perfect example of zinciferous! However, this hand dyed yarn will do-it was probably set with zinc? Not a yarn dyer, so I am only guessing. It came from Lola Hogan's photostream on Flickr and she sells this in her Etsy shop. It is a gorgeous color, isn't it? If I were a knitter, I'd buy some!








ZABRA

 (image from Wikipedia)

Zabra: a sailing vessel resembling a small frigate and used chiefly by the Spanish in the 16th and 17th centuries.For the record these images are not officially images of a zabra ship. In fact, I could not any! Go figure. There were images of xebec, but not zabras! So, I looked up Christopher Columbus figuring that the ships he sailed on could not have been too different from what I think a zabra might be. Hence, these images of stamps commemorating his voyage.




ZAFFER








An impure oxide of cobalt, used to produce a blue color in enamel and in the making of smalt. From Wikionary: A pigment obtained, usually by roasting cobalt glance with sand or quartz, as a dark earthy powder. It consists of crude cobalt oxide, or of an impure cobalt arseniate. It is used in porcelain painting, and in enameling pottery, to produce a blue color, and is often confounded with smalt, from which, however, it is distinct, as it contains no potash. The name is often loosely applied to mixtures of zaffer proper with silica, or oxides of iron, manganese, etc.



ZEITGEIST





Zeitgeist:  is "the spirit of the times" or "the spirit of the age." This image came from this Zeitgeist site-pretty interesting movement. All for the greater good...

11 comments:

Carver said...

Z isn't an easy letter and you did a fantastic job with it. Carver, ABC Wed. Team

Kate said...

Very creative posts; your z's are not exactly common...good for you!

photowannabe said...

Your ABC posts are so original and fun to read Paula.
I always learn things from you.
The colbalt earrings are gorgeous.

Leslie: said...

Love how you worked out how to get an image of that ship! Chris would be proud! lol

Leslie
abcw team

Roger Owen Green said...

Love those old stamps. I have some that I got from my great aunt
ROG, ABC Wednesday team

Chubskulit Rose said...

I know you would have a fascinating Zs. I am one with photowannabe, I always have fun with your post!

Zucchini
Rose, ABC Wednesday Team

Black Jack's Carol said...

I agree with Leslie and your ingenuity in finding an as close as possible representation of zaffa.

Lots of new words for me. Now, the trick is to remember them :)

The Poet said...

My friend,
Once again, different blog, I have learned a few new Z words. Great job with this.

Sharp Little Pencil said...

I always learn here, Paula! I love the word Zeitgeist, always have. But zinciferous, would sound that like "vociferous," with a soft "c"? FAB! Amy
http://sharplittlepencil.com/2012/07/11/ground-zero-fukushima/

Reader Wil said...

Terrific post, Paula! Very interesting too with these new words! Thanks for your visit. What do you mean with " the zodiac across the water"?

Reader Wil said...

Thanks Paula! I think I'd love to have a boat trip on that zodiac across the water.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin