Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Zia and Zuni


ABC Wednesday is a word meme with participants from around the world. This fabulous meme was created and hosted by Mrs. Denise Nesbitt who hails from Great Britain. Over time, others have joined in to help host this wonderful and informative meme. We are now in our EIGHTH round! Some of the participants have been with this from the very first round; others have joined in along the way. Each week we are taken across the globe to see the varied and exciting contributions people have taken the time to discover and capture. We start with the letter, "A" and each week we post something in regards to the next letter of the alphabet. This week's letter is, "Z".

WOW!!! Last letter for Round 8!!


ZIA


The state flag of New Mexico contains a symbol from a native tribe called Zia Pueblo. Here is an excerpt from what I think is their site (or someone using the Zia name) that explains more about this symbol and it's meaning:


"The symbol originated with the Indians of Zia Pueblo in ancient times. It's design reflects their tribal philosophy, with its wealth of pantheistic spiritualism teaching the basic harmony of all things in the universe.
The flag of New Mexico was designed with their historical background in mind. It shows the ancient Zia Sun Symbol in red on a field of Spanish yellow. The symbol's proportions are fixed by legislative act.

Zia is a name used in several cultures. Zia means aunt in Italian, is a common name in Pakistan, and is the name of an Indian Pueblo located 35 miles northwest of Albuquerque, NM.
The Zia pueblo in NM is situated in the steep mountains slopes and canyons of the Sierra Nacimiento Mountains. The gently sloping flood plain of the Jemez River, and the large Pajarito and Jemez Plateaus establish the setting for the Zia Indian Reservation.

The striking scenery creates exquisite cinematography. The films Dead or Alive, Desperado II, Earth 2 and New Eden were produced in part or entirely on the Zia Reservation." 
 

Here is the link from which this information came from to view it in its entirety: http://www.zia.com/home/zia_info.html


And, New Mexico boasts of another native tribe called Zuni. You can find out more about their tribe by visiting their site.  Another nifty site designed for home schoolers has some very good general information about the Zuni tribe.

It seems like we just zipped through the alphabet on this round!

17 comments:

Sylvia K said...

What an interesting post for the Z Day, Paula! I'm always amazed at how much I still don't know about parts of my own country! This is fascinating! Hope your week is going well! Enjoy!

Sylvia

Kate said...

Paula, I smiled when I saw this on the portal...perfect for today and great information! I'll be there again for 3 weeks in Aug/Sept. Indian Market. Wonderful place!!
Introducing our 9-yr-old granddaughter to the region. Hope she becomes as mesmerized as we!

Roger Owen Green said...

This is very interesting, and important, stuff!

ROG, ABC Wednesday team

Kay L. Davies said...

Wonderful information about the Zia people, Paula, and a link to the Zuni people as well. I've always been fascinated by the people of the southwest but have been frustrated in my attempts to visit New Mexico, so far. I intend to keep trying.
— K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

Chubskulit Rose said...

Very interesting piece of history.

Zoning the ABC, please come and see.

Shooting Parrots said...

That is a very spiritual looking symbol. I know it's a sun symbo, but it also looks like two pairs of hands reaching up.

Tumblewords: said...

'Twas a fast trip through the a-z. I've seen the Zia symbol and have spent some time in the Zuni areas. Fascinating.

Hildred said...

This is a really interesting post, Paula, - I am off to find out all about the Zia through your kind link.

Leslie: said...

Zia would be a beautiful name for a baby girl. Interesting history of the name and where it's used. Great post, as usual Paula!

Leslie
abcw team

Oakland Daily Photo said...

Enjoyed this post. I have a deep, personal connection to New Mexico and was pleased to view the zia again.

Jane and Chris said...

That was interesting! Thanks!
Jane x

Meryl said...

GREAT post. Fascinating! I leave a wiser woman.

Carver said...

Great post for Z. Very informative and one I didn't know about.

Reader Wil said...

Now it's my turn to thank you for this informative post. I didn't know about this part of the world. You have shown a very interesting Z. Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

Paula, loved the story of the flag. Also the pantheistic nature of the Zei symbol, all "arms" stretching out in embrace of the universe.

Also, I have a Zuni friend in SoCal, Michael Horse. He is a master silversmith and acts occasionally - he and his friend Terry were buddies of mine back in the 70s. This was most informative; I enjoy learning new things! Thx, Amy

Spadoman said...

I love the Zia. I have it on my Google homepage. And red and yellow are my tribal or totem colors, so this flag means a lot to me.
I see the 4 directions in this symbol. The circle, or roundness of life, as it is continuous. Infant, Youngster, Adult and Elder. Man, Woman, Birth and Death. Earth, wind, fire and water. North, South, East and West. Spring, Summer, Fall and Winter. And the beat goes on and on.
I have been away for a while and apologize for my lack of attention at so many blogs of my friends. Just a busy time, and it might continue. But I know you understand. Keep up the great work. See you soon.

Peace

EG CameraGirl said...

OH! So that's what that design is. Thanks, Paula!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin