Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Oh, Arugula! We Are at the Top!

ABC Wednesday is a word meme with participants from around the world. Our Host, Mrs. Nesbitt hails from Great Britain. Says Mrs. Nesbitt: "Some have been with us from the very first round, others have joined in along the way! What fun! Each week we are taken across the globe to see the varied and exciting contributions people have taken the time to discover and capture! ABC Wednesday is now entering a 3rd year of fun! I'll raise a glass to you all!". We started with the letter, "A" and each week we post something in regards to the next letter of the alphabet. This week's letter is, "A".

Adobe Blocks

Have you ever seen them? If you live in New Mexico, you have. But, this is how adobe buildings are made. A very ancient building technique that is actually very energy efficient and very 'green'. Many old buildings here in this state are made from adobe and have historical importance. Our soil here is very high in clay and the mud is made from this clay along with water and straw. Every so many years, these buildings have to get "re-mudded" so that they don't disintegrate.

Adobe House

Apparently, this one did not get "re-mudded" and has fallen by the wayside. Even in a state of ruins, adobe buildings have their appeal.

Anthiriums

They are everywhere in Hawaii and are easy to grow there. As a cut flower, they last for a few weeks. If you grow a good number of these in Hawaii, folks know it and come around asking you if they can have some of your flowers for whatever occasion it is that they need it for. These were at the Hilo Farmer's Market. A must see if you are ever in Hilo. It meets every Wednesday and Saturday. The produce there is to DIE for!

Arroyo

A late afternoon evening as the sun is going down-I love the light on this arroyo. And what about the arugula, you ask? Well, as I was getting this post together, that popped into my mind as I thought that that would've made a good ABC post for the letter "A". Maybe I'll remember to for round 6!!!

12 comments:

Mara said...

I only know the flowers as houseplants! We don't have the weather for them all year round, but you never know, with all this global warming...

Jane Hards Photography said...

Moat illuminating series of A'S. A very welcome start to the round.

Janie said...

Great A's. I especially like the arroyos and the old adobe building.

Bradley Hsi said...

Yes, we saw many Adobe buildings when we visited new Mexico last year. Otherwise, Adobe for us photographer, it most likely lead us to Adobe Photoshop.

Carol said...

Nice series of A shots...I love the anthiriums...

Reader Wil said...

Interesting to read about the adobe houses. Something I didn't know. Thanks for sharing and for your visit.

Rune Eide said...

Nice to know what Adobe REALLY is - I never got past Photoshop ;-)

Roger Owen Green said...

Always had a fondness for adobe - even though I live in the Northeast US.

nonizamboni said...

Great post of A's and you had me reading to the end for the arugula reference :O) And BTW I am a brain surgeon!
You site is a wonderful place to visit=I'll be back.

jay said...

LOL! I love that you forgot to include arugula!

Adobe buildings are very picturesque, even in decay, as you say. But I have a liking for decaying buildings, providing they were good buildings to start with and have weathered nicely!

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

arroyo at dusk,
stippled in shadow, bounded
by barbed-wire fencing…

studioJudith said...

My, my ... .
all these rounds.

I'm a bit dizzy-

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin