Saturday, March 21, 2009

Hoodoos and more

I call this the Daddy Hoodoo Shadow

It's the shadow cast by a very tall hoodoo. How tall? I'd have to guess, but maybe about 30 feet? Linda Laitner and I headed up north to a wilderness area near Chaco Canyon called, Ah-Shi-Sle-Pah. It's within the Bisti Badlands area all within the range of the northwestern corner of our state. Finding the area was an adventure! We had BLM (Bureau of Land Management) maps and what looked like some pretty specific directions. Both of us have GPS contraptions, but neither of us know how to use them! Which would've made it a cinch to find since the GPS coordinates are given. But, we did find it!

Although this hoodoo is not really from Ah-Shi-Sle-Pah. It was near Nageezi which is the way we left the wilderness area.

So, here's the standing formation that cast such a shadow. There's some smaller ones in the background in the shadow picture. The 'smaller' ones are about five feet high.

And then, there's this little iddy biddy guy! I was lying on my tummy to take this shot! I think the red rock on top must be no more than three inches in diameter, just to give you a sense of scale. The big ones are formed in the same way, it just starts out with a bigger rock!

Now that you've enjoyed these, head on over to Traci's at Shadow Shot Sunday to see more shadows!

13 comments:

Gemma Wiseman said...

I did not realise these incredible Hoodoos existed outside Alberta, Canada. The shapes are quite eerie and cast amazing shadows! Great shots!

Sylvia K said...

Those are such cool shadows!! Wow! and so different! I love the little tiny one! Thanks for sharing!

Chubby Chieque said...

He he... daddy Hoodoos? Looks a giant mushroom for me, §:-))
Soooo cool SHOT, Lady...

I love your artistry entry today. Job well done (told you many times).
You're worth it!

A Wild Thing said...

I love the desert landscapes and the sound of the winds...you can almost hear the native drums and the screech of a hawk. Beautiful shots of desert mystery.

Terri said...

Fabulous shadow shot. you do hoodoo well! ;o)

Paula said...

It sounds like you had quite an adventure! I would love to see those formations for myself. I went to the link for the hoodoo. I've been to Bryce Canyon and I've never forgotten it, it was absolutely exquisite, just full of hoodoos.

Leau said...

wouldn't it be Hoodoo Daddy? And did they sign any good swing music? Great images! smooches

Catherine said...

great shot ...that hoodoo casts a truly photogenic shadow!!

The Summer Kitchen Girls said...

What an awesome formation - makes a great shadow too! Love the perspective of your little shadow too!

Hey Harriet said...

Holy Hoodoo these are cool! Especailly the last one, it's so cute! You sure have lots of fun adventures :)

Hot Fudge said...

That first shot looked familiar somehow and then the penny dropped. There's a cartoonist in Australia called Michael Leunig and your shadow is just like one of his characters. If you go to
http://www.leunig.com.au/cartoons/

you'll see what I mean.

Dianne said...

I love the iddy biddy guy :)

paris parfait said...

Cool shots of the hoodoos - I never heard them called that before.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin