Monday, September 15, 2008

1950 Chevy 3600

I've been MIA again...blame it on the kitchen remodel. It does interrupt my daily flow of life!

It's not that I haven't been taking pictures. I have.

It's not that I have nothing to say. I do.

I just think that my blogging groove is temporarily derailed. But, until I get back in the groove (I think I have at least 3 1/2 more weeks of disruption before I get to reclaim it as mine) I have this eccentric shot for you.

I always photograph this truck when we go up to the Taos Ski Valley. This is in the village of Arroyo Seco and this truck belongs to the Arroyo Seco Mercantile Store. It still runs. It's a 1950 Chevy 3600 pick up truck.

We, as a collective group of human beings should reconsider how we treat things that are old and run down. My friend Paddy, he's 90 years old and his memory is sharper than any of us. His left leg is swollen and causing him grief. The doctor doesn't seem to be terribly concerned about finding out what is causing this swelling and pain. Doesn't even want to test for things like pulmonary embolism, for what can be done if it were? It seems that once you are deemed old by the medical profession, less effort is put forth to diagnose and administer appropriate treatment. It's like becoming the living dead.

Uh oh...I've written myself into a corner! I dont' want to end this post on this note, but at any rate, keep reminding yourself to stay connected to your sense of humanity. Treat others as you would like to be treated. It's too easy to loose sight of!

3 comments:

Anil P said...

Old is all the more reason to treat nice. I believe the worth of humanity is tested in how we treat that and those who've 'outlived their usefulness' to us.
Therein lies our own salvation.

d smith kaich jones said...

Paula - I love your new blog setup. I now have no trouble getting all your words. And what words! This post especially speaks to me today, as I feel Mary is being treated as just a commodity by her caretaking company & can do nothing about it. (She had a bad night last night with no caretaker in sight.) Ah well. they NOW know there are neighbors watching, so perhaps that will help.

Thanks!
Debi

Paula Scott Molokai Girl Studio said...

Thank you Anil and Debbie for the comments. Issues like this is something that is very dear to my heart.
Anil, you said it so clearly.
And Debbie, you (we) are witness to this current worth of humanity in regards to how we treat our elderly.
Old is all the more reason to treat nice.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin