Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Soma, sweet soma

"The dream is the small hidden door in the deepest and most intimate sanctum of the soul." -author unknown This is a page from a book I made called, "Dream". In case you don't know, the word soma is Latin for sleep. It is a small study of sorts on some of the aspects and facts about dreaming. It is a visual book with some selected dream related quotes and definitions. Dreaming is a fascinating thing; I could indulge myself easily in reading all that has been written about the study of dreams. Sleep gives us the transition world to our dream world; the dreams allow our input saturated minds to download on a daily basis whether or not we want (but always need) to. Psychoanaylists have spent much time in deciphering dreams. The dream world offers much fodder for any artist who dares to represent images from there. It is perhaps in our best interest that we cannot recollect our daily dreams. Although, they say that if you write down as much as you can remember as soon as you are awake, eventually you start to remember your daily dreams without any effort. I tried writing them down when I was on alone on a vacation. It was successful. Having no distractions, that sort of indulgence came without effort. In the present moment of time with my daily life, there isn't enough breathing space for that kind of activity! And yet, I know that if I could do it, it would be so valuable. Adding to my 'list' of things to do as a visual artist, I'd like to do more exploration of Carl Jung and his anaylsis of dreams. Of course, I think leaving out Freud in that exploration would not be fair, so I would have to include him too. "...night I entered a world which the dividing line between reality and dream was so fine as to not exist." (unknown) In the meantime, keep on doing the soma thing!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin